Thursday, August 20, 2015

Camps and Homecomings


Freestone went to scout camp at Camp Loll, in the Tetons.  What an exciting experience!  I just happened to mention on Instagram, jokingly, that it sounded "perfectly safe," sarcasm intended, for 12 year old boys with no experience to be shooting guns.  I was treated to a whole bunch of comments, ranging from passionate to implied, suggesting that it is Freestone's right, duty and responsibility as a red-blooded American to shoot guns.  So I guess I won't mention guns again.  I'll just pretend that I like them.  And hey, the kids wear goggles at the shooting range, so it's totally fine.  But just so you know, it's OK for an individual to not have a desire to shoot guns, just like it's ok to believe that Donald Trump is not a viable presidential candidate.  Totally valid opinions.

Anyway, Freestone had the best time at scout camp.  Scott went up for the last 3 days and had a great time too.  They hiked, jumped in waterfalls, earned merit badges, did weird scout stuff and came home safe.
It's always good when your kids and gradkids come home safe.  Grandma and Grandpa were happy to see Ruby after her summer.

Then it was girls camp.  Ruby got home Saturday afternoon from Europe and left Monday morning for girls camp.  She was reluctant to leave home again so soon, but girls camp is why she came home from Europe when she did, so she went, knowing she would love it.  Araceli loved it too, as lots of her friends were there.

They did love it, but I was happy when they were back, sleeping in their own beds.  Plus, their return from camp marked the first time our family was together since June 23.  Two months seems like a long time, but soon these "children" will be leaving for missions or whatever, and our family could go years without being together.  So it's even more rewarding now, as I enjoy the last days before Golda goes to college.

I hope this makes everyone feel better about our patriotism.





My two scouters. :)


2 comments:

michelle said...

Yeah a new post! I've been stalking the blog. Great to see your kids having good tomes!

fablesis said...

My boys have been scouts since first grade. The oldest wanted to do Cub Scouts because shooting BB guns and bows at summer camp was described at the meeting. They both have shotgun, rifle, and archery merit badges. They LOVE to shoot anything. They are boys. We live in where opening day for dove/turkey/deer hunting is set aside for just that. I have never hunted, but they went with DNR on a few deer hunts last year, but didn't even see one. (I would have had to buy a freezer!)
One is an Eagle Scout, and one has to find a project.... :-)