Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Lion King


Several weeks ago, Ellison posted auditions for her play, Lion King.  We have been looking forward to this, and the kids were eager to try out.  All the kids who auditioned got a part and the cast list was posted on Ellison's website.  Xanthe was thrilled to be cast in the dance numbers with her cousin Esmae.  Cousins Izzy, Abe and Ro were also cast and so was Ptolemy, the Scheullers, the Ramsdells and a bunch of friends.  I'm not sure what skills Ptolemy displayed in the audition, if any, but we were sure grateful to be part of the production!  Xanthe got Tizzy a part later in the summer, because she wanted to be with Ro.  I should have had her try out to begin with, but I thought she was too small.  Little did I know that Ellison has the patience of Job and a magical way with kids.  No child was too unruly or too tiny for Ellison to handle.

The kids rehearsed almost every day in July, for two hours, and they loved every second of it.  It was all going to culminate in tragedy for me, because the performance was scheduled for when we were in New York.  It was fun getting the texts all day of the performance from my Shelter group, as they all helped Sarah and Ellison with the production, but I was progressively more and more sad that I couldn't be there, as excitement reached a fever pitch at Crestwood Childrens Theater.  Then, miracle of miracles, the show was hurricaned out.  A crazy rogue storm passed through at just the crucial moment and they had to call off Lion King and reschedule for the next night, when I would be home.  I felt terrible for Ellison, to have that happen on her big night, but I was so glad there was a silver lining, at least for me.

I knew Ellison was capable, smart, creative, talented and determined, but even knowing all that, the show exceeded my expectations.  It was absolutely fantastic.  I don't know how Ellison, age 13, got those kids, some of them 3 years old, to sing and dance and act and make the whole thing come together.  It was delightful from beginning to end.
The bugs were hilarious.  They had special chairs to sit on while they waited to be carried onstage for their part, but they kept getting up and asking people when it was time for refreshments.  



Mike gave an emotional speech about how hard Ellison and her brothers worked all summer, and how proud he was of them.  He said they figured the play would be a good project to get them away from screens for a couple of hours a day.  Then it became a project that got them away from screens for 8 or 10 hours a day.  What a huge community service to work so hard and give this fun opportunity to so many kids.
My niece Izzy is on the right and did such a great job!  And that's Josh in the bird costume.  He was great!  They were all just so good!
Ptolemy as a zebra, and my little student Emersyn.  He was also a hyena dancer, and had to turn his vest inside-out when he became the other animal.  He thought that was the neatest thing ever.
Xanthe and Esmae in one of their dances.
"Want to see my vest turn inside-out?"

The makeup people were fabulous! :)
Bugs Flamenco ladybug, regular ladybug, Annie (Tizzy;s idol) and a little girl I don't know and Edyn.


Henry, the Lion King

Standing ovation.  There's Ruby and her friends, hours after Ruby got back from her summer-long trip.  Happy day!


And finally, the cookies!
My mom and dad talking to Pat Bates, my good friend Leslie's dad.
Xanthe gained so much confidence with this production.  She loved it.
I have the best friends.  Sarah worked all summer behind the scenes to support Ellison, and we all benefited from her efforts.  All that sewing and set building and having kids running all over.  Wow!



There's Leslie!

And the director of the show, Ellison.  Thank you for letting us be a part of Lion King.  It was truly magical.

No comments: