Friday, April 1, 2016

Nana's 99.5th Birthday!

Coco and I met at the Villas with chocolate ice cream, as promised, for Nana's 99 and a half birthday.  OK, there's no smooth way to say that. How about just Nana's half birthday?  At any rate, we dished up ice cream for all of Nana's friends, who had just finished an early dinner.  Nana, in regards to the celebration, said, "We just have to take what comes."  She has all these sayings, and they get more frequent as she has more and more trouble remembering when and where she is, and what is going on.  Another one is, "Well, I don't have to worry about that."  OR, "I'll have to think about that one."  Or, "We just have to be grateful for everything."  Nana is cheerful, loving and positive, but she has zero interest in most of the activities the Villas offers.  They do games and puzzles and arts and crafts and socials and recitals.  I'll say, "Nana, it looks like they're making tissue paper flower arrangements at 1:30."  She'll say, "Well, they'll have to do it without me!"  Or the funniest, "I could CARE less!"  It's so funny to hear Nana say something like that!

Seeing Nana's loving and positive nature shine through makes me worried that, if I ever get to be 99 and a half, I'll be all fire and vinegar.  The best I can do is spend as much time with Nana as I can, so that her radiant spirit rubs off on me, at least a little bit.