Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Happy Birthday, Scott!

It's Scott's 45th birthday!  Happy birthday, Scott.  After being married to this guy for almost 21 years, the novelty of having won him over still hasn't worn off.  I still don't know how we got lucky enough to end up together after those years of digression, bad timing, failed attempts and near misses.  I am thankful we had those years, because we would both be completely different people had we skipped all that learning and growth.  And it's lucky for all of us that I had seven years of adult independence before I had to be part of a team with Scott, because wow.  It's good to know how to carve out enough independence when you're working with 8 other people to make a family. 

I hope all my children are fortunate enough to find a partner just like Scott.  I wish I could give them advice based on my own experience.  Fall in love while you're young and emotional.  Leave home.  Break his heart and then do your own thing for seven years.  Wait, what?  That is terrible advice.  So I got nuthin, kids.  Except: look for the person who gives good gifts, freely and thoughtfully.  Someone who hands money to the cold and broken guys on the street.  Someone who loves kids naturally, is nice to your grandmother, has an impeccable work ethic, remembers what is important to you, has a well-developed sense of gratitude, considers your opinion, doesn't create drama.  Someone who lies.  Lies and says you look beautiful, even if you don't.  But let's limit the lies to just that. :)

Scott always puts everyone else's feelings ahead of his own.  It's actually a lot of pressure to be married to such an unselfish guy.  It keeps the rest of us in line, though, and that's good.  I'm so happy I snagged this guy to raise my kids.  He's doing a stellar job of it, and of life in general.  Thanks, Scott!


3 comments:

Jennie said...

I hope Scott's birthday was grand! It's hard to feel grand when it's another normal day, but hopefully he knows how much we all love him!!!

michelle said...

Yep Scott is one of the really good ones and you guys are perfect!

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday Scott! You're an amazing guy....and married to a spectacular (and humble) gal!