Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Little Angel



I had to show you what has been keeping our household together for the past few weeks. This girl. She has completely taken Scott's injury in stride and silently taken up an extra share of responsibility. She has become the official Little Big Planet guide for the boys, couch buddy for Scott and helper for mom. With Golda's play taking up her time and mine, there have been many nights when I left Ruby home to "help" Scott with the kids. That's a lot of work when the guy you're helping is unable to go up or down stairs or carry anything. No wonder she's so tired!

Tonight, I had a dozen tasks for Ruby to do, one after another. In between, she was running around for Scott, doing her homework and patiently letting Xanthe boss her around. She never complained. I had some chocolate chip cookies hidden in the pantry and decided Ruby was worthy to share my stash. I called her over to the pantry and said, handing her a cookie, "Ruby, I want you to put this cookie away somewhere." I thought I was so clever, pretending to give her another job, while I was actually giving her a cookie. She looked at it quizzically, then ran to the TV room and handed it to Scott. She told him I had asked her to bring it to him.

It made my heart swell to see Ruby's extremely generous spirit at work. I also felt a little sad that Ruby didn't think the cookie was for her. She deserves the best of everything, which is exactly what she offers to everyone she knows. She gives the best of herself in every situation, and I hope I can remember to give back in kind. Or in chocolate chip cookies. Thanks, Rubes!

7 comments:

laurel said...

Okay, she was sent from heaven!!!!!

Jennifer said...

What a treasure. Her name is very fitting.

Marilyn said...

What a sweet girl! I love reading your blog. You and your family are wonderful.

Michelle said...

Let's clone her!

I can't believe you blogged after the movie!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ruby..you are incredible! And pretty great as well. Sounds like you are picking up some pieces that keep your family going:)

Jennie said...

We love Rubes too! What a sweetie!

SSWS said...

I love the photo of you on your phone and Ruby riding along to her next lesson. I hope my kids grow up and help out!