Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Perfect Storm





Tonight was better than Daylight Savings, when you get that extra hour in the fall.  Tonight we got a whole extra evening, due to the Storm of the Century.  The first I heard of the storm was this morning when I got an email from Ruby's guitar teacher cautioning me against driving this afternoon and suggesting we reschedule.  I trust Ruby's teacher.  He is a ski instructor, so he knows weather.  As the day progressed, more and more things shut down, closed and got canceled (snowball effect?), validating the decision to reschedule guitar.  I felt like I should go to the store and stock up on batteries and flashlights or something.  Instead, I came home with six cans of Stephen's Hot Cocoa mix and a Christmas movie.  Scott, Golda and two steaming David's pizzas made it home from the office and voice lessons right before the snow started to fly.  In the end, guitar, a YW planning meeting, three violin lessons, a dance class and a YW activity were casualties of the storm.  In Utah, where people just generally ignore winter, wear shorts in January and drive freeway speeds in blizzards, that's pretty unheard of!  Even Tabernacle Choir practice was canceled!  As the wind whipped the snow in swirls around our house, we all hunkered down to watch Search for Santa Paws and drink gallons of hot cocoa.  Oh, and Brussels sprouts.  Ruby has been dying to cook Brussels sprouts. 

The kids were disappointed that the storm didn't cause a real "Snow Day" from school, but we made up for it with our "Snow Night."  It's not often that you can take a night off from all of life's demands with impunity, and that's what makes it exciting.  It almost makes me want to spend the dark winter months somewhere like northern Alaska or Iceland, where we'd be snowed in for a month at a time, hibernating.  Almost, but not quite.  One evening of playing Inuit was magical.  A month?  Maybe not so much.  We'll be shoveled out by 9 am and back out on those icy Utah roads.  Snow doesn't scare us!  Much.

4 comments:

sws said...

way to go Ruby and the brussell sprouts! I have not acquired the taste, Mike loves them, and I hate how stinky our house gets when they are cooked. It was a fun night! We watched the Biggest Loser as a family...that NEVER happens.

Jennifer said...

Bah! I think we got more snow last April. It doesn't seem like this storm matched all the hype. I love that employers (including my husband's) responded to the storm warning and closed down in the afternoon. That was a relief to me. But the resulting storm? Seemed wimpy. I just hope this won't be like the boy who cried wolf and lull people into not taking other warnings seriously. Fun pics!

Michelle said...

It was a great night. And the power didn't get knocked out so I could still bake pies today. I wish it would happen more often too!

Kristi said...

It really was a fun night, everyone at home.... even Jason came home early, a true miracle! Your pics are cozy. I'm coming over for cocoa. ;)