Thursday, November 11, 2010

Smarts!





Yesterday I had to sort through seven years of Freestone's pictures to find a handful that would both fit on a small time line and represent the pivotal moments in Freestone's life.  Don't tell Freestone, but the newborn I'm holding in the first picture is Ari.  And believe it or not, we don't have an appropriately sized picture of the first time Freestone played video games in "octobre, 2008."  Oh, I didn't tell you the time line is supposed to be in French?  I love translation websites.  I know you're thinking I should let Freestone do his own homework, and I DO, but - and don't take this personally - do you KNOW any kids?  Second graders frequently have trouble finding two shoes in under an hour.  This is a seven-year time line in French with photos.  He needs help!  And he has six math worksheets and a vocabulary packet due tomorrow. Part of learning is to figure out how to organize time, effort and resources and see a project through.  That has to be taught, and letting him fail is not a good way to teach that.  Working with him to show him the way is a process and an investment.

I'm not helping Ari as much with her project this week, since it is made up 100% of coloring and Scotch tape.  I wish she were practicing cello, doing chores, finishing her regular homework packet or getting her reading done, but she's coloring, cutting out and assembling an entire Native American village made of cardstock, due tomorrow.  This project has taken several hours so far.  I just wish there were a more efficient way to teach a third grader what a teepee is shaped like... 

Then there's the 6th grade science fair.  This will involve minimal parental intervention, a creme brulee torch and several types of sugar.  The house could very well burn down.  Although Ruby will do all the work, the whole project hinges on my ability to bring home powdered sugar, buy a special three-sided poster and get the printer working.  So right out of the gate, she's at a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% supportive of homework.  I love it when everyone is gathered around the kitchen counter working.  I love our teachers.  I am grateful for the excellent education my children are getting.  Their curriculum is far more demanding than what I did in grade school.  In 1975, we had a sandbox and nap rugs in my kindergarten class.  2010, Xanthe got a bad grade in "language arts writing" because her lower-case m wasn't up to snuff.  At her SEP, she kept gulping.  I could tell her mouth was dry and she was terrified.  Beforehand, she had asked me, "What are they going to do to me?  Not punch me in the face...?"  She's hilarious.  She came home from the conference and filled page after page with lower case m's. 

The goal in our grading system is all 3's on a report card.  Freestone was nervous bringing home one 2.75 in the category "Understand, analyze and respond to narrative and informational grade level text."  I don't even know what that means!  When I was Freestone's age, I was a horrible student.  I even got bad scores in things like "working with others" and "math."  Araceli has a grade for algebra on her third grade report card.  So if one of the kids brings home a less-than-perfect score in "understand and compare attributes of three-dimensional geometric shapes and apply transformations," I'm going to try not to worry.  Even though understanding attributes of three-dimensional geometric shapes would help immensely when assembling a Native American village.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I love it! I KNOW exactly what you mean. But, I do have to say, this has been our best year yet as far as homework is concerned. Jackson's teacher is amazing. One sheet of math per night - that is it! No packets, no pointless worksheets, etc. I love it. Good luck with the village. That project is the worst! I should know. I did Jackson's last year. :) Jackson would scribble color the pieces and then I would try and figure out which way to fold the day thing. I ended up yelling for Lex to come and help. Luckily she remembered how to do from her past experience.

Michelle said...

Just the post I needed after spending a couple of hours (okay, maybe it just felt that way) doing third grade math!

sws said...

another fantastic post. I'm not a fan of the 3 grading system. Both our SEP conferences this year were stressful. H got a 2.75 for "art" because he doesn't join in singing....both our kids talk too much during class....I didn't tell the teacher they get it from dad.

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh. Reading this post made me realize I forgot to take James' completed homework off the fridge magnet. So much for my effort to get it done earlier in the week, rather than all on Thursday night.

Nate said...

There is definitely increased pressure for both kids and teachers. I think they all work at an increasingly frantic pace trying to meet the requirements for homework scores, grades, CRTS, etc. I'm with you in believing that while kids need structure, they also need a nuturing positive school experience; especially in the younger grades. It is pathetic that Xanthe had to feel so much pressure and be so worried about her SEP. I love her grit though, comimg home to practice multiple m's. Good luck with the thousand other projects. Hang in there!

laurel said...

I am with you on every point, sista! I find myself doing, ooops I mean helping a lot of the time. When there are pages and pages, there just isn't enough time without some mother help!