Monday, November 1, 2010

Reparations

This morning was a tiny bit of a parenting disaster.  I blame it on the dog and her stupidity, but it was probably more due to my morning-after blues.  I had that "Hee Haw" feeling that Scott used to get on Saturdays as a kid when all the sports programming ended and Hee Haw came on TV, just as dusk settled in.  It felt like all the good stuff was over and the stupid, banal and pointless stuff was all that was left to look forward to.  Last Thursday night was delicious, since the term had ended and there was no homework for the whole three-day weekend.  Just a big, fat agenda of fun ahead.  I even gave the kids a day off from practicing on their choice of Friday or Saturday and filled the time with parties and pumpkins and friends.  I know it was cloudy all weekend, but I remember it as brilliantly sunny anyway, just because of all the festivities.  I was in love with the Halloween season, and then it left me.

This morning, I searched every recess of my psyche for a glimmer of inspiration to launch a new week.  No luck.  Just empty candy wrappers and soggy, fallen leaves in my brain.  The kids must have felt equally uninspired because nobody could seem to get out the door.  All of the clouds worked themselves into an ugly storm which culminated in Ruby shouting, "Orchestra is stupid!" and me shouting, "Maybe YOU'RE stupid!"

Calling your kid stupid is mighty high on the Top Ten List of things never to do as a parent.  Even Freestone knows that.  He said gently, "Mom, you shouldn't say that.  How about if you're not the best person in the family anymore?"  Ruby left with a sullen glare and I found myself standing alone with my regret, demoted to "not the best person in the family."

There is more fix-it work involved in parenting than I thought, at least the way I do it, and I knew I had to fix this one.  I was staring down a future of angry backward glances from Ruby, and it was a specter that I did not like.  Coco took Xanthe for me and I checked Ruby out of school for lunch.  We went to the place we call "Tiny Spicy Chicken" and ordered two plates of...tiny spicy chicken.  Ruby's countenance gradually turned from stormy to sunny as we talked about her life and our goals.  She listed four things she wishes I would never do, and I listed four things I wish she would always do.  After lunch, we hit a bunch of stores looking for clearance Halloween things because the sun was shining and I just wasn't ready for Hee Haw to start.  Not yet.  Net ever.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I think we can ALL relate. I think ever mother alive has done or said something to one of her kiddos and instantly regretted it. If someone hasn't, I'm pretty sure they are lying. :)

Those kinds of talks are great. I love when Lex and I can communicate and really HEAR each other. I like to think of it as relationship maintenance. If you don't do it, things could really fall apart.

At least the sun is shining today! And... it is supposed to be great until the end of the week. Maybe we can psyche ourselves up for the next holiday - pumpkin pie and whipping cream. I know it isn't as great as the party at your house, but I guess it can hold us over until Christmas. :)

The Mink Family said...

The BEST parenting advice I ever got was: "There is room for error". You are awesome..... and maybe a little "stupid".. we all are. Keep up the good work Circe. You rock!

Kristi said...

I have no sage advice or words of support and encouragement. I just love that you say things we all sometimes say, and that you are willing to share... I'm not sure what to think about the fact that everything you say makes me laugh out loud. "Reparations" shouldn't have been a funny post, yet here I am laughing. again.