Monday, September 8, 2014

Comic CAN


 Last week was Salt Lake Comic Con.  Freestone heard about it and was bound and determined to go.  We went over our schedule and tried to tell him that there wasn't a time when it would work out.  Undeterred, he tried to convince his friend Sam to invite him to tag along with Sam and his dad.  I told him as nicely as I could that Sam and his dad had a special date planned, and that they probably didn't want an extra kid with them.  It was almost embarrassing that he was groveling to Sam.  Scott couldn't stand it.  He wanted to take his own kid to Comic Con, not have another dad fulfill that dream for him.

Scott was prepared to skip the Utah football game on Saturday and squeeze in a day of nerdiness before Free had to be home for his Nutcracker audition.  It wasn't ideal, and it was expensive, but Freestone is really into this stuff.  Then - miracle! - Scott didn't have court on Thursday, which is a much cheaper day to visit Comic Con.  He cleared his calendar and checked Freestone out of school early.  Scott and I were both excited to see Free's reaction.  Just that morning, I had told him again, "You can't go with Sam and his dad.  I don't think we can make it happen this year."  He said, "Well, I'm going next year no matter what, and you can't stop me!"  Poor kid.  In my heart, I kinda knew Scott would pull through for Freestone.  I knew he would find a way.  And he did.  They had the best time.
 Our friend Amy's husband.  Big wig!
 Bigger wig, Doctor Who!

 Lecture on Doctor Who
 This guy.
 Freestone loves this author




 This is what happens when you spend too much time at Comic Con.  Thursday night, I ran in to Salt Lake to get Freestone from Scott so Scott could stay and go to a concert with Ryan.  All the way home, I heard about all the cool stuff.  Free logged into his Instagram and posted a picture of him stepping out of the Tardis.

I know that time travel isn't possible, so you have to force these things to happen while the kids are in the stage where it's important to them.  Freestone might not even care about Comic Con next year.  Of course, you can't give your kids every little thing their hearts desire.  But believe me, with seven kids, NONE of them are getting as much time or attention as they deserve, ever.  Just ask any one of them.  There are missed opportunities all the time, just because we basically can't do it all.  So it's nice once in a while to do something right.  Scott is good at that.
Freestone got this report from school this week.  I would give Scott 100% too.  Good job, boys!  You are very cool nerds.

No comments: