Thursday, September 25, 2014

Dancers

 Every other Friday, Dance Company has lunch at one of the dancers' homes.  My turn got moved last-minute to Wednesday because the dancers have a photo shoot this Friday.  No problem, Golda, Ruby and I already had a plan for the food.  It was so much fun having the girls and Connor at our home.  They only have 30 minutes or so for lunch, so everything is ready when they walk in the door.  Ruby and Golda wanted it set up so there was no waiting in line, so we did 3 identical salads, 4 plates of bagels on 2 tables, lots of schmear with knives, drinks already poured and dessert in cups with spoons, so they could take them and run if they had to.  Short and sweet, just enough time for the kids to feel the welcome atmosphere of a home and fuel up for their last class, Dance Company, which can go over 2 hours.



 Golda, Emily, Hayley, Ashley and Zoe, all girls I have watched dance since they were tiny.  It's actually fun to see everyone with their hair down in street clothes.  They look like regular people.  Who would guess that these girls are some of the hardest-working, resilient, athletic, well-rounded, artistic teens around?

 Rebecca, Amanda, Savannah, Hailey, Kiley, Chloe, Connor, Emily, Jessie and Amy.
 Brooke and Tori, and Haddie there on the side.  I think almost everyone came.  I wish we could do it every week!
 Tizzy was in heaven when Nikki brought her home from dance and the house was filled with dancers!  When they were leaving, Tizzy said, "Hey!  Wooby!  Where you taking my friends?!"  Alas, they had to go prepare for their performance that night.
 Davis High has a Performing Arts Spectacular that is a fundraiser for the auditorium.  This is the New York, New York dance, with Golda and her leg 5th from the left!
 Here's Ruby on the far right in this dance...title?  I forgot.

They also did their rose petal dance, which I've seen, so I just sat back and watched it.  Scott, Ari and I were on the front row, which is great for seeing which child is yours, but hard for photographing feet, since I didn't want to block people's view with my phone.  It's so much fun to see the results of the time and effort these kids put in.  I'm so impressed by them.  Ruby came home and zoned out for 10 minutes on Instagram before starting on her practicing.  She has a terrible homework load.  She was up til 2 the other night, then set her alarm for 4:30.  Not surprisingly, she slept through the alarm.  Nobody can get by on 2 hours of sleep a night!  Golda, on the other hand, is on the downhill slope of her high school career.  It's still a lot of homework, with 2 AP's and college math, but it's manageable.  She was finished with everything by 11 last night!  I don't remember the last time that happened. I think dance and music are these girls' salvation, a right-brained break between textbooks and essays.  A change is as good as a rest, right?  I dunno...ask Ruby at 2 am.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

How fun. Those days are the best. I love hearing teenage chatter and exuberance for life. Will they have a Dance Co. review so we can see all of their routines?

Catherine said...

What a treat for the girls to let their hair down each week with a meal in a family home! Great planning!