Monday, September 22, 2014

Homecoming 2014

Homecoming 2014 was a lovely study in synchronicity from start to finish.  Golda was asked by Josh Downs, a great kid who became friends with the Euros over the summer and spent some time with them, our girls and some Davis friends.  He asked her with a Little Caesar's pizza and breadsticks and a note, referencing the Little Caesar's tag line, "You're hot and I'm ready.  Let's go crazy at homecoming!"  Golda was at ballet when he dropped by, so Ruby and I took the pizza with us when we picked her up.  Her reaction was...tears of relief at having been asked, then excitement that it was Josh.  

Then there was the question of a dress. Coco took Golda shopping and came home with the perfect dress.  Absolutely perfect.  And it was only $32!!  Thirty-two dollars!!  In the end, I convinced Golda that some shoes she already had were the perfect thing, but took her shopping for a headband.  I love the style Golda had envisioned for this occasion.  The headband was the perfect touch.  I was also thrilled that we didn't have to shop for a little jacket or shrug.  Golda's stand on that was that she felt comfortable and modest in the dress, and if she were to wear a shrug with it, it would only be because of what she was afraid people might think if she didn't.  She decided that worrying about what people think was the wrong motivation, and went with what she felt comfortable in.  I was proud of her, and I thought she looked like the epitome of grace and virtue.

 I had a little emotional conflict about the timing of Golda's departure.  Josh was coming to get her at 5, and I was planning on meeting my friend Lenore and her brand-new baby in Salt Lake at 4:30.  With like 13 man-hours of ballet and Nutcracker rehearsals and shopping for a headband, Golda didn't have as much time to get ready as she should have.  She washed her hair in between classes, then started getting ready after finishing her last class, then her chores and practicing.  An afternoon of primping was not in the cards.  I knew I would be late for Lenore's tea, and I knew I wouldn't be there when Golda left, so I felt a little torn..  It all worked out, even if I was late meeting Lenore.  (I'm sorry!  If there's one thing I hate, it's being late!)  The whole family milled about Golda's room as she put the finishing touches on her ensemble.  I love that the younger kids have Golda to look up to.  She is so confident, beautiful and put-together.























 Tea was lovely!  We had so much fun snuggling Betty.  She is a feather of celestial radiance.  How's that for hyperbole?  But she is!  Thanks, Nor, for inviting us to share in Betty's precious spirit!

 Meanwhile Scott was a good photographer as Josh and Golda left for the dance.  Josh said that Golda was "the best date ever," and Golda said that the evening was perfect.






 I guess his face says it all!  It was one of those iconic nights that high school dreams are made of.

2 comments:

DeBryFamily said...

What a fun evening. Golda is a true beauty!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I love it! How fun. I love the rug in her bedroom!