Sunday, September 14, 2014

Emily King, Artist

My sister-in-law Emily King has an art exhibit at the Springville Art Museum right now!  That's huge!  There was no way we could miss the gallery opening, so we made the one-hour drive down on a Wednesday night, and it was totally worth it!  In fact, I am completely humiliated that the one time I've been the the SAM, it was closed.  I knew it was a first-rate museum, I just have never been.  What is wrong with me? 
 Ptolemy, musing over why this work of art looks so familiar.  My kids are sometimes lucky enough to be models for Emily's art.  What an honor!
 Our neighbors, the Reeders, drove down for the soiree.  Such good friends!

 I love EMily's sister-in-law Emily and her backwards glance in this shot.  All the Snows were there to support their artist.
 And all the Kings...except Scott, who was driving to guitar and flute while we were gone.  Golda and Ruby were sad to miss it, especially since they were featured in a couple of the paper cuts.
 This one gives me chills every time.  It's called "Commitment No Matter What," I think.  Is it?
 Forgiveness
 Sisterhood
 Another artist, Pilar Pobil, painted this one which resonated with me.

 It isn't often that a Wednesday night is so inspiring, so restorative, so thrilling and so satisfying.  I am so proud of Emily, and the career that she has been able to foster while raising three children.  Her creativity is so deep, playful and spiritual, yet so down-to-earth.  It was really neat to see so much of her work come to fruition in this highly regarded exhibit.  What a blessing to be part of my family.  And I can't wait to go back to Springville and spend more time with the masterpieces that have been there for years!

No comments: