Thursday, December 18, 2014

*Gasp!*

 Araceli is a natural nurturer.  Here she is taking a little nap at a doctor check-up.  That's 5'6 inches of charm right there!  At 13, she is the tallest girl in our family by and inch, and still growing.

I had to implement a "No Gasping" policy in my car because several times, Araceli would gasp loudly and I would slam on the brakes, imagining a deer on the road or a gas stove left on.  Then it would be like, "Oh my gosh!  It might snow!"  Or "Did I tell you I couldn't get my locker open today?"  Hardly an emergency, but liable to cause one, based on my reaction.

Araceli is not only very enthusiastic, but super responsible.  On Saturday, I noticed her hair was shorter.  (I didn't gasp, though!)  She had called Hair Play, made an appointment, and walked over there after ballet.  She got a haircut and paid for it, then came back to the studio in time to catch a ride with me after my classes.

The other day, I went in her room and there was a neat little pile of wrapped gifts in the corner.  I don't know where they came from or who they're for, but apparently, Araceli has a secret life of shopping and salon visits that seems to go unnoticed.  I could chalk it up to being the third child, and maybe that's part of it, but this girl came with a fiery-flaming personality built-in and fully developed.  I am happy with how she seems to be channeling her passion.

Xanthe, Scott and I and Grandma and Grandpa went to hear Ari's school orchestra perform on Tuesday night.  Since I had to leave early to teach, we all left, knowing Araceli would figure out we weren't there after.  Sure enough, I got two texts and a call after.  Ari knows it takes overkill sometimes to get the attention you need, and she's not shy about pulling out all the stops.  Sadly, this kind of firepower isn't unwarranted.  That very night, when I picked her up from the concert, Ari said, "Let's go get ice cream!"  A couple of things had to happen first, and those things didn't go according to plan, and before you knew it, ice cream never happened.  So I owe Araceli a night out, and I'm looking forward to it.  She is fun.  You'll laugh when you're with her.  And you'll relax, too, because Araceli will have a plan.  You just have to jump in and go with.  Just don't be afraid of the bouts of extreme enthusiasm, usually accompanied by a loud gasp.  Nothing is wrong!  Everything is normal!  Araceli is just really, really excited about it!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I love that she made her own appointment. How resourceful. I'm just barely able to convince Lex that's she ready to do the same thing. Slowly but surely it's happening.