Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ornaments

Araceli had an assignment to make a Christmas tree ornament representing a character out of a book she was reading.  She chose Kira from the second Giver and spent several hours embroidering a lovely rose in various colors to symbolize something Kira did in the story.

You know what I would have done in 7th grade?  I would have forgotten about the assignment until I was in my dad's car on the way to school.  I would have scrounged around for a piece of paper and maybe a string of dental floss.  I would have scrawled "Oliver Twist" on the paper and taped the dental floss on with an un-licked adhesive scrap of an envelope.

How do I know this?  Because it's the exact same thing I would do today if I had an assignment.  I could throw up, I'm so sick of endless dishes and laundry and shuffling items around the house, and even more weary of never doing a good job of it, never getting it all the way done.  Hours after I have conceded defeat each night, my girls are still studying.  And hours before I get up in the morning, they're up...studying.  Or sewing.  When they're grown-ups, they're going to have the skills to do such a good job of it.

I don't know what the lesson is here.  Kids work hard?  Circe is a whiner?  I'm proud of my kids and inspired by them and tired just thinking about what they have to face?  All of that, probably. Maybe it would do me some good to go sew an ornament.

2 comments:

The homestead said...

I don't think yo give yourself enough credit. Your girls are the way they are because of your example. You are an amazing person!

Jennie said...

No, you're not a whiner. I agree. Your kids are fabulous, driven, brilliant, and talented. But... they just have to worry about them, their assignments, their due dates, their dance classes. You, on the other hand, have to worry about all NINE of you, the grades, the due dates, the bills, the appointments, who needs what when, etc. You are all doing GREAT!