Monday, December 1, 2014

Golda's Senior Recital



 Last night was Golda's senior recital.  She has been preparing music for this for probably two years.  She and her teacher Cindy put together a really good program and Golda nailed every single piece.  She was fantastic.  I was so proud of her!  I don't even think she made a single mistake.  Maybe one rocky note on Swiss Air. ;) Golda has the gift of grace under fire.

The senior recital is a rite of passage.  Cindy doesn't require one, but she strongly encourages it, and so do I.  It's really the only venue for a student to showcase what all those thousands of hours of practicing were for, and to demonstrate their level of ability graduating from high school.  Our friends and family know Golda plays flute, but if they were at the recital, they now know that man!  She REALLY plays flute!  This recital is the first and last of its kind, unless Golda decides to major in music in college.  For that reason, I have been super emotional about this event.  Scott even took some of the kids to Park City for a couple of days to give me mental space as well as time to clean and prepare.  He knew better than I did what I would want.  I joined them Saturday night for a few hours of peace, coming home Sunday morning alone with my thoughts of Golda and all of her efforts over the years.  It was the perfect way to celebrate Golda in my mind.

We didn't invite any kids to the recital, ours included, so I was able to watch (after the duet I played with Golda) and really focus on Golda's performance.  I tried to stay in the moment and listen to the music.  It was profoundly enjoyable.
 Scott recorded each piece.
Carnival of Venice, such a difficult piece!
Winter Spirits, a contemporary solo piece.
Bach Polonaise and Badinerie
Golda asked Ruby to play a piece on guitar so she could get a drink.  It's not easy to play for 45 minutes!  Ruby played Bianca Fiore.
Swiss Air
Summer Music
Haydn Duet for Two Flutes.  I was honored, if a bit rusty.
Silent Night, a trio with Araceli on cello.
And I can't find the recording of the Quantz Concerto.  Hmm...
 Duet with Alyssa Stewart, recorded here.  They went to State Solo and Ensemble with this piece last year.

 Cindy's presentation of the trophy and her speech, along with mine, are on Youtube here.  I was on my way to Park City Saturday night when it came to me what I wanted to say at the recital.  I pulled over at a Christmas tree lot off I-80 and wrote it down, not wanting to lose the moment.
 I get choked up all over again when I see this picture.  Thank you so much for being there.
 Cindy is such an incredible teacher.
 Emily and Jess, good friends.
 Coco, Michelle, Matthew, Christine and Jess.  Did I already thank you?  :)





4 comments:

Jennie said...

It was a beautiful night. I'm so glad I was able to a part of her history.

michelle said...

It was wonderful! I'm so glad we got to be there!

sws said...

I'm so proud of Golda. She is a beautiful girl inside and out and so incredibly talented. Takes after her mom and dad.

Jennifer said...

This sounds amazing. I wish I could have seen her.