Sunday, November 22, 2015

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!


This is a great picture of Bruce.  We had just given him a bag of gummy ears for his birthday.  Who knows why anyone would manufacture gummy ears, but it was the perfect gift for Bruce.  He's always telling the kids he's going to take a bite of their ears.

We want to wish Bruce, AKA Grandpa, a happy birthday.  He is generous with his time and energy, and never says no to any opportunity to help and serve his family, friends, neighbors and church community.  He is a calming presence, and a fun one.  I don't know anyone who doesn't love to be around Bruce.  He and Marlene live to give.  Their example of service is really unrivaled, and one I hope Scott and I  can emulate as our children grow up.

The best example of their devotion to their family and friends is the cabin they built.  It gets bigger every year, and everyone is welcome to come to Idaho and see all the intricate details of their vision.  It's remarkable.  I could list all of Bruce's attributes; humility, talent, creativity, devotion...OK, I guess I'll list his attributes after all.  There are so many more, but I don't want him to get too cocky.  ;)

Thanks, Bruce, for setting the bar so high on what a man should be.  Scott learned well, and our whole family is benefiting from your example.  We know for sure, because of your actions, that you love your kids, and there was never a question as to where you prefer to spend your time.  We are aware of the unmeasurable benefits of having parents who prize their children above all else, and we know of that ideal because of you and Marlene.  I'm sure you'll spend your birthday doing things for people, and I hope it's a good day!  We love you!

No comments: