Monday, November 23, 2015

Ptolemy's Day Off

Ptolemy had a dentist appointment.  Afterwards, he looked up at me with his eager, bright eyes and said, "Am I going to school now?"  I couldn't part with him, so I said, "No, it's your day off!"

The kid took it and ran with it!  Ferris Bueller has nothing on Tolly.  He relished every moment.  We went to the dinosaur park in Ogden with Tizzy and Ro.  I let Ptolemy lead the way, since he'd been there before with his preschool class.  He felt very important and kept telling the girls, "I'm in charge because it's my day off." This boy is decidedly not short on joie de vivre.  Everything is magical to him, and in turn he makes everything magical.

That night, Scott let Ptolemy sleep in Golda's room with him.  He called it a slumber party.  Ptolemy exuded, "It really IS my day off!!"  For the six years of Tolly's life, I have learned to embrace the moment in a way that I'm not sure I would have learned without this boy.  He is a gift to our family.  I look at him and think, if he can be this enthusiastic, I can too.  Well, not quite as enthusiastic as Ptolemy.  It would look weird on a grown woman if I were squealing for joy about sitting on a giant turtle.  On Ptolemy, the attitude is perfect.



Exploring in the gully with Abe after his "Day off."

No comments: