Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Winter Packing for Emily, Ashley and the World at Large :)

This is the perfect purse; small, lots of zippered compartments,
durable shoulder strap.  You don't need a money belt.
Here are my packing tips for a week-long trip to Stockholm and Rome.  I'm a super light packer, and you'll want to be, too, because luggage weighs you down in more ways than one.  It's heavy, big, saps your energy, and may prevent you from going places and seeing things you want to.  You want to be responsible for as little stuff as possible, so you have the freedom to explore.

It's tricky because we'll be visiting two different climates, one very cold.  And we're not checking any luggage.  The only airline we'll be flying on is Norwegian, so make sure your bag conforms to their specifications for a carry-on.  You'll want room in your suitcase to bring things home, so don't stuff it.  As far as luggage, my opinion is that wheels are a life-saver.  Even though you won't be able to wheel it over cobblestone streets, you'll spend a lot of time in transit, in airports, subways, etc.  Also try to have backpack straps, though.  And please make sure it's lightweight.  Other considerations, like theft-proof and durable, don't matter because they add weight, and it's a short trip.

I'm taking a down coat that fits into a little bag.  I'll wear it the whole time we're in Sweden, as well as using it as my pillow on the flight.  On the flight, I'll wear long, comfortable pants, a t-shirt, a sweater, socks, shoes and my coat.  I'll want to have handy my passport, phone, charger, book that I can toss when I finish it, an Ambien, chapstick and snacks.  You'll have to buy a water bottle once we're through security.

All the clothes I'm taking are black because it's easier to look more dressed up in black, and that way, everything matches.  Think about how you want to look in pictures.  Streamline everything.  Have a color scheme.  I make everything black or grey, then choose something that I love, like a hat or a scarf, maybe both with the cold weather, and let that be the focal point.  Jeans are a good essential because you can wear them multiple days.  Other things, you can wash.  Underwear, either bring some pairs you can toss out as you go, or plan on washing them at night.  Or just bring panty liners.  The upside of winter is that you won't be getting hot and sweaty, so your clothes stay clean longer.

We will be walking a TON.  Make sure your shoes are durable, and broken in.  It's not about fashion, so try to only bring one pair, maybe two.  It's essential that they've been proven to be good walking shoes for you.  We will probably walk about 10 miles a day.  You'll most likely wear tights and a dress, or pants and a sweater, both with a jacket and scarf.  Stockholm could be snowy, so I'm not sure what to do about footwear, because I like to only take one pair of shoes, usually birkinstocks.  I might bring ankle-high leather boots instead, for the whole week.  Try not to bring shoes that take up a lot of space.

Here's my complete list:

Wear on the plane: black pants, socks, shoes, underwear, t-shirt, (because you want to be able to take off layers if you're hot), a sweater or jacket, a big scarf (blanket) and a coat (pillow).

Passport
Credit card, Euros
Purse with a sturdy strap that zips and can be folded into bigger luggage if necessary
Phone, which I use as a camera too
Charger
Extra phone battery (Mine dies during a full day of GPS, picture taking and messaging)
Lipstick
Mascara
Whatever toiletries you must bring, put them in a clear ziploc bag, NOT a makeup bag.  Saves space and it's easier at security.
Toothbrush, small toothpaste
Ambien for the flight, Tylenol and allergy tablets
Most things, we can buy there.  But bring tampons.  I swear, they're not the same in Europe.  You can always leave them there if you don't use them.
Snack; nuts, peanut M&M's, something with protein.  Only bring enough for the flight and the night we get there.  You won't want granola bars with all the gelato we're going to consume!
Metamucil.  We'll bring enough for everyone because you don't want digestive problems when you're eating pasta three times a day!  Believe me, you'll need it.
Tiny bottle of shampoo because I think our Stockholm hotel will have it, and our apartment in Rome should too.  And we can buy some easily.  Remember, you can't take anything over 3 ounces, including toothpaste.  You can't take a half-empty tube of toothpaste or shampoo bottle if it once held more than 3 ounces, either.  Don't bring fancy hair products; you might get it confiscated at the airport.  No hair dryers or other things that plug in.  The European electric system won't support them, even with an adapter.  (Scott and I will bring enough adapters to charge all of our phones, etc.)

As for clothes, other than what I'm wearing on the plane, which will be my bulkiest items:
Jeans
1 pair of socks
2 underwear
thick tights
black dress
Wool headband to cover my ears in Stockholm
long-sleeved dress, solid color. Dresses are good because they take up less room than outfits.
2 long-sleeved shirts.
warm pajamas, but not bulky. You may opt to wear sweats as pj's, just in case you want to change into them on the flight for comfort, since you'll be sleeping.

I think that's it.  I'll put everything together soon, because I like to be packed a couple of weeks in advance.  Then I'll know for sure exactly what I'm bringing.





1 comment:

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Hahaha! I am the ultimate over packer! I always take everything,"just in case".