Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day Through Instagam

I've long since given up on the idea of relaxation on Mother's Day, and now I just embrace all of the festivities and fun.  It's nice that the kids have outgrown the stage where they get up at the crack of dawn and destroy the kitchen, then bring me breakfast in bed at 6 am.  Thanks, kids, that was fun.  But this year, I got one of Michelle Fitzgerald's chocolate chip cokies and some Kaysville Theater popcorn on a plate at 8:00, courtesy of Ptolemy.  See why I love him?
This is the extent of my tribute to the whole thing.  Scott sent me this picture of Araceli coming out of orchestra.  He knew I would love it, and I love that he knew that.  It was a good start to Mother's Day weekend.  By the way, Ruby's Mother's Day gift to me included googling how to punctuate the darn holiday.  The woman who invented Mother's Day meant for it to be singular possessive, so that each family celebrates their own individual mother...just in case you were wondering.  I know I was!

I got a text from Freestone that said, "I love you." I remarked, "Someone hacked Freestone.  If he loved me, he'd send me a funny meme."  Sure enough, it was the cousins who were responsible for the text.  Later, Freestone did, indeed, send me the perfect meme.  Stonehenge in butter.  Yes, he loves me.
Scott adores his mom.  We all do!  She is wonderful in every way.
Scott knows I'm happiest when my hair is fun. Tziporah's greatest tribute to me was recently when I was dying my hair, just the usual brown.  Scott asked Tizzy what would happen if Mama didn't dye her hair.  Tizzy said, "It would be pink."  Melt my heart!
Araceli has the most loving heart.  She's always singing my praises on Insta.  This was just one of many.  Thanks, Celi!  Xanthe, too, loves to write loving notes.  She wrote me several sweet letters. I just didn't take any pictures of them.  I'll have to!  She used every adjective in the English language to say how great I am.

Doesn't this picture look just like Golda?  This was me at the VMS, circa 1995.  Golda has a beautiful way with words.  Thanks for the tribute, Golda.
This is my favorite picture of all time; Ruby and me at Josh and Emily's wedding.
First place for cracking me up goes to Ruby.  She has the driest sense of humor!  Her caption is still making me laugh.  "I just love how happy my mom looks sitting in the middle of nowhere in that outfit."  Why is that so funny?  I don't know, but I'm still dying.
For example, I did not know I would be terrified of my kids driving.  I love driving, and I've loved it since the day I got my licence and drove to the symphony in Salt Lake by myself with almost no driving experience.  If my parents were terrified, I don't remember.  I wish it didn't worry me so much, because obviously driving happens a lot.  As a parent, you absolutely have to find strength you never knew you had, and most of that strength is applied just to quell the fears that arise with each new step.  It's so irrational though, that I encourage them to go all over the world alone, but I panic every time they drive to ballet.  I'm getting better.  We shouldn't have raised them to be so independent and fearless.  Then they'd stay home, safe, all the time!
My caption for my mom:  "I've always been so proud and felt so lucky to be my mother's daughter.  Whether the question is, "Can I change the furniture around," "Can I go to college in Indiana," Can I bring some friends home for Christmas," or, "Can you watch the kids," her ready answer is always, "Sure!" I think Coco's greatest skill - and she has many - is sharing the enthusiasm of everyone she loves.  I would say she's going straight to heaven when she dies, but god wouldn't do that to her.  He'll send her directly to Paris."

I love my mom and admire her in everything.  She takes such good care of her mom.  She's at the Villas every day, making sure the laundry is done, Nana is feeling good, the nurses are on the ball, and Nana's papers and things are organized.
On Mother's Day, we went to church, where the kids sang and I gave the closing prayer in sacramnet meeting.  The kids were cute.  After, we went to Coco and Bill's for some fun conversation about death over the ages.  Then, Bruce and Marlene's.  Dinner was delicious and the company was perfect.  We all love being at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
Scott is the best.  He "gave" me lots of things I bought myself, and of course, he shopped for the perfect gift, too.  He and the kids gave me a hammock for the yard, and flowers.  Thanks, Scott!  He was also excited to give Marlene a big floating living room that she and a bunch of kids can drift around on at Bear Lake!
They bought a pop up camper that is huge!  That will be fun this summer.
Bruce's mom Wanda Stanger Dopp.
Marlene's mom, Delilah Freestone Hill
Here's to many more holidays and regular days with our moms.

No comments: