Sunday, May 29, 2016

Utah Youth

Araceli had her Utah Youth concert at Abravanel Hall recently.  I had enthusiastically signed up to be a chaperone backstage so I could relive my glory days.  Even though Utah Youth performed at Gardner Hall when I was in it.  But enough about me. 
Araceli and her stand partner Debbie, with a boy from another orchestra that Celi fell in love with in about 5 minutes backstage, (we can't remember his name) and a kid who jumped in the picture when I barked out, "Everyone scoot in!" 
Us being funny
Rehearsing Tchaikovsky"s 4th Symphony.  I've always been partial to the 5th, but this concert changed my mind.  They played it magnificently.
Grandma and Grandpa enjoyed the concert, even the new piece they played where it was all body percussion.  Araceli's orchestra didn't participate in that one, sadly.  It was the North American premiere of the piece, written by a British composer using clapping, slapping, voice, and body movements.  Ririe Woodbury helped them with choreography.  I love new music.  I feel like I understand the vocabulary of it, having played mountains of new compositions at Indiana.  I love it, especially when it's a premiere. 

I'm thankful Araceli is willing to do youth symphony.  She sometimes complains that "I'm following your dream, Mom, not mine."  I say, "Yeah.  Thanks!  You're the best!"  Don't worry, she's following plenty of dreams of her own.  She just wishes she were dreaming instead of driving to rehearsal at 8 am on Saturdays. 

1 comment:

Catherine said...

LOL! Love your comment back to Ari! You go mamma!! :)