Thursday, August 25, 2016

Almost Through the MTC

Golda and her five beautiful friends leave on Monday!  The nine weeks have flown by, even as it seems like a lifetime ago that Golda was here.  Every week on P-Day, the missionaries go to the temple.  Sister Briggs' grandfather works there, and they see him each week.  In fact, he treats the six sisters to lunch every week in the temple cafeteria.  You know who took this sideways picture?  I did.

Yep.  One P day, Golda emailed me and said, "I always hope you'll be one of the women sitting in the temple when I walk in."  That hit me in the heart like a fireball.  I imagined Golda walking into the chapel and scanning the room for familiar faces, always seeing none.  I emailed her, "That's funny, because I was planning on going to the Provo Temple next Wednesday at 10:40."

I thought she would admonish me not to do that, but she didn't, which I took as tacit approval. So I had to go.  I had no way of communicating to Golda that I wouldn't go, since she can only email on Wednesdays.  I couldn't bear the thought of her scanning that chapel and not seeing me.  At the same time, I was apprehensive about going.  There is a lot going on in the summertime, and taking 5 hours out to drive to Provo to do a temple session is no small feat.  And I didn't want to make Golda feel guilty or uncomfortable.  The next Wednesday, I half expected an early email telling me not to visit the temple, but none came.

Coco and I drove to Provo. I was so glad my mom came with me. I was nervous! Upon arrival, I was shaking like Don Carlos!  I thought I'd forgotten my temple recommend, but it was in my bag.  I couldn't believe I might see Golda, and I was scared that we'd somehow miss her and disappoint her.  We got ready in just the right time to be in the chapel for the 10:40 session, which wasn't easy.  There are sessions every 20 minutes, so we had to time it just right.  Sitting in the chapel with my mom, I felt really peaceful.  It didn't matter if we didn't see the missionaries.  The Lord was watching over them, and it was OK either way.  At 10:35, the beautiful, radiant sisters walked in.  Sister Dopp whispered to Sister Briggs, "Yep. There's my mom."

They came over to us, and I watched Coco when she spotted Golda.  Her eyes got big, and a smile of wonder spread across her face.  The other sisters seemed genuinely thrilled to meet us.  I instantly loved each one of them.  We sat by Sister Dopp throughout the session.  I just kept thinking, "I'm sitting next to Golda, and I won't see her for 17 more months after this."  I just basked in her presence as I took in the sacred feeling of the temple. I noticed Golda's elegant, familiar hands and thought of all the hours of flute practice and ballet and studying, and how much good she's about to do with those hands on the other side of the world. We sat in the Celestial Room and visited after, and the missionaries invited us to have lunch with them and Grandpa in the cafeteria.

Having that time to chat and catch up was incredible.  That it didn't seem weird was the weirdest part.  It was a gift. A pure and simple gift that Heavenly Father gave me, Coco and Golda.  I knew Golda wouldn't escape from this experience without some guilt, which she expressed over lunch.  A mom visiting the temple at the same time as her missionary daughter isn't expressly prohibited, but I guess you could say it is taboo.  Sister Briggs, Coco and I all assuaged Golda's guilt by saying, "Look!  You got your mom and grandma to the temple!  This is what the purpose of missionary work is, and you're doing it for the people you love the most.  You're a great missionary!"

I don't regret the visit for a second.  It was a sacred experience that I'll always treasure.  I hold close to my heart the memories of seeing Golda in the field, as a missionary.  My mom said to her, "Golda, you seem like you're on another plane."

She answered, "I am."  She was on another plane. She glowed from the inside out with a remarkable spirit, and I got to see it in action.

All that said, a visit like that wouldn't be a good idea for everyone.  Scott chose not to go because he could not have handled the good-bye.  One good-bye is hard enough!  I wouldn't necessarily recommend going through two, unless you felt inspired to.  And if it had been earlier in her MTC stay, rather than the week before she was leaving for Hong Kong, I think it could have been disruptive for her. The missionaries are so in the zone at the MTC, distractions can really take them out of that zone. As it was for Golda, it was a sweet good-bye and a touchstone of love before she goes out.  Like Golda emailed me later, "I love you more than I miss you, so I wasn't sad to say good-bye."  She wrote to Coco and said that that day was "one of the most spiritual experiences I've ever had, having three generations of women together in the temple."

I'm proud of Golda for what she's doing, and in awe of her extremely strong and courageous spirit.  I don't for a minute wish that she were anywhere else, and neither does she.  But just for a single moment in time, she needed her mom and her Coco to be two of the faces in a crowd of strangers.  And I daresay, we needed it too.



5 comments:

Kristi said...

Good thing I haven't managed eye make-up yet today, that was a bawl fest for me. So tender, so precious. Definitely a rose for your memory garden. ♥

Catherine said...

So beautiful!! Reading this made me cry - happy tears!

The year after I attended Bible College I traveled with a music, drama and ministry group. Part of that time included 3 1/2 months in India. I still remember our visit to my home church just weeks before we left for India. While I cried through our entire hour of ministry there I gazed out at my parents, brothers and precious friends who were watching with tear filled eyes too! Ministry is not always easy but it is life changing both for those ministering and those being ministered to!!

((hugs)) momma. 17 months....17 months
PS - SOOOOO thankful for you and the friendship we share! Our faiths are different but our love and support of one another is true! Miss you!

Mom said...

B
eautiful, inspiring and tear-jerking. So glad the three of you had this time together...it was meant to be or it would not have worked out the way it did. Such beautiful moments to cherish for all of you. xoxo.

Maylin said...

I love this.

JDE said...

This was incredibly touching. Thank you for sharing this with us.