Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lonesome tonight...



Happy Birthday to Aunt Michelle, Grandma Great, Alexis and Ruby, the January birthday girls in the Dopp family. We had a delightful party tonight, talking about babies vs. cruises and/or watching football. At the end of the night, when Rob and Michelle were ready to leave, Freestone raced into his room and emerged with his sleeping bag and pillow case. He said, "I'll be in the car!" After some murmuring and eyebrow raising among the adults "in charge," (Are we?!), Freestone was officially invited to have a sleepover with Jake. The boys jumped and cheered and immediately started campaigning for TWO nights. Freestone gave Daddy a hug and told him, "I'll be back from Jake's in two days!"
Now the house is quiet. The air is still. Nobody is about to come racing into our room with a breathless story to tell. Nobody is shouting random song lyrics in a frog voice. The Fab Four costume is empty and crumpled on the floor. I could fix myself some hot chocolate without getting Freestone a cup...and making it cooler...then hotter...and getting the right spoon...and then cleaning up cocoa powder...but I'm too lonely! Granted, there are still four little ones about, but they are so quiet!
I called Rob and Michelle, and Freestone was fine. He wasn't crying for his mama or anything. He was having fun! I'm sure Old Man Jake, six months older than Free, is teaching him how to be even more grown up, at this very moment. Giving him tips on tying his own shoes and fixing his own cereal. Teaching him how to give talks in church all by himself.:)
Well, tomorrow Freestone and a whole bunch of cousins will here, shouting for joy, as Nana says, and I'll smile. I'll remember the relaxing cup of cocoa I had the night before, and I'll be ready for the surround sound of boys' voices echoing through the halls, as well as the High School Musical crowd flitting in and out and through the sword fights and super hero adventures. It's going to be great. But first, the hot chocolate and the quiet...Thanks, Michelle and Rob!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Well the first sleep over was officially a big success!!! They played super-heros, and we let them stay up until 10:00, when we went to bed I could here them laying on the floor in their sleeping bags whispering and giggling, but they were out in a half hour.

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to check on them and they had scooched their sleeping bags next to each other, were laying on the same pillow, and had their arms draped over each other. So cute!!!

They are already making plans for sleep-over #2.

love.boxes said...

Those two boys are just the cutest friends/cousins.. there should be a better word.. don't you think?

Michelle said...

I agree with Tif, new word for such cute boys!

Taylor Family said...

Thanks for the fun party Circe. The food was yummy and it was so fun to see everyone. You are so great to let everyone come to your house. We really appreciate it.

Michelle said...

Hey, I keep checking over here! I have missed your posts!