Monday, January 7, 2008

This Is Your Life



OK, the holidays are ALL the way over now. Last week was a segue back into the routine, but this week is just like real life. I like it! Here's a picture of Freestone wiping away his LAST egg nog mustache. He took it like a man when the last drop was gone. At least we still have "some of the soft stuff" left.
My New Year's resolutions are: Read with my child 15 minutes a day, brought to you by Shea Homes. Oh...and watch less TV.
My favorite thing about having older kids is Playing School. When I'm helping Araceli read, I recruit Golda or Ruby to play school with Freestone. They each have their own easel/white board in their rooms, and they go through white board markers like crazy. (I suspect it's mostly from leaving the lids off.) Freestone and Ruby surprised me tonight by showing me that Free can read the first "I Am Sam" book. He barks out each word like he's under duress, but he's pretty proud of himself! Ruby is a very patient teacher. Meanwhile, Golda was DRILLING Ari like a Kirov diva on her ballet routine. I don't know if it turned out, because it can't be unveiled until Golda makes a costume out of black and red fabric, which we, of course, don't have. I'm learning a lot from my mini teachers. Yesterday, Araceli was running out of steam practicing her cello. I used a mock teacher voice, and said, "OK, class, Araceli is going to show us all how to play a G Major arpeggio. Are you ready, Araceli?" I tried to hide my surprise and delight when she perked right up and played it a bunch more times. I'm telling you, I'm going to run this Playing School shtick into the ground. This is magic! Tonight my assistant, Miss Melody (Ruby), and I tricked Freestone into practicing for 45 minutes. Any other good practicing tricks out there?

By the way, I was going to take a picture of Scott sitting on the couch, watching the big screen TV AND the "Archos 605 wifi," which he was holding. But he fell asleep. I guess it was sensory overload.
Another P. S...Jackson heard Xanthe talking and he exclaimed, "She doesn't speak French anymore!" So we have that worked out of her system!:)

7 comments:

Jennie said...

French! I love it. Thanks for letting him play. I know he really enjoys your house. I hope he doesn't run you ragged!

love.boxes said...

I didn't know she was speaking French! :) What a great idea to play school!

SSWS said...

Can I hire Ruby and Golda to play school with my kids too??? I hope Freestone can hold out until next Christmas for the egg-nog! He's such a great kid!!

Michelle said...

Apparrently Freestone and Jake tried to play school yesterday while Free was at our house. Although the Freestone/Jake version of school invovles a lot more superheroes, and sword fights breaking out than one would expect in the Kaysville school district. :)

SSWS said...

Another good practice tip......do a "victory dance" when they get a part right. E thinks it's funny to see me make up a dance......it makes me realize how out of shape I am!!!

Michelle said...

I am so proud of Free for being so brave about the eggnog! So funny my kids just happen to play school yesterday too but somehow I don't think it was quite as effective as yours. So glad to know Xanthe is tri-ligual! And I really want to see that victory dance of Sarah's!

Jennifer said...

Hi, Circe. Just doing the nursing/internet thing and found your blog through Merrills'. Your joie de vivre (ask Xanthe!) is infectious. You are a wonderful person. I loved what you wrote about your daughters' wedding days. Little girls don't stay little long . . .

One of my favorite parenting and teaching strategies is to plead ignorance and playfully mess up. It can turn the most reluctant learner into a confident demonstrator. "No, Mom, it's supposed to be like this." Kids love to correct their parents!

Jennifer Hatch