Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Wedding Planners








Today: One of the more sublime moments of my parenting career, as I chatted with my tweens in an abandoned snow fort at the elementary school under a brilliant blue sky. I felt the sun on my face and listened to the girls talk about their wedding day, and how the bridesmaids will look and what colors the flowers will be. There were detailed descriptions of their rings and their dresses. Golda's color scheme will be red and white. Or blue and white. Midnight or periwinkle. Ruby's ring will have diamonds and rubies or garnets, and she will have 12 bridesmaids. Araceli said her flower girls will wear purple and all the boys will wear suits. She said, "We have to go shopping and buy the white dress I will wear at my wedding." I said, "Now??" "No," she said, as if I was being silly. "Tomorrow."
The thing that makes me so sad is that it will seem like tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll be sitting in a dress shop waiting for one of my little girls to come out of the dressing room in a wedding dress. She will be in love, and all the ballet classes and music lessons and afternoons in snow forts will be behind us. Someday, I suppose I'll find a way to live with that heartbreaking reality, so that it won't be so wrenching when the time comes. For now, though, I'm thankful for this day, a day of dance and music and sunlight and snow, of cold fingers and hot chocolate, of crystal-clear plans for the future, and of childhood beauty and innocence. I hope all of their dreams come exactly true, down to the dark pink and lime green centerpieces at Ruby's reception. The best Scott and I can do is teach and prepare our daughters the best we can, so that their wedding days are in the right place and with the right person. And then say a lot of prayers!
Golda assures me her wedding won't take place for another 15 years. Besides, I shouldn't worry so much about the dress shopping. The girls will probably want Scott to do that with them! Maybe I can help with the flowers. :)

6 comments:

Taylor Family said...

That is so sweet. I hope I have girl someday so that I can help plan a wedding. I often think about dropping my boys off at the MTC for 2 year and it makes me so sad. We love you guys and hope we get to see you soon.

Michelle said...

Okay, that mad me just about bawl! You are right though, it does go so fast. Now I have to ask Brittany if she has such detailed plans as your girls! I love that they have it planned so well, must like a good party like their mom!

Jenny said...

I can't help but see my life mirrored in yours with us both having 3 girls in a row. I look at your girls to get a glimpse of what my 3 have in store for the future. There really is something about girls. I remember planning my wedding while I was young. How fun it is to dream!

SSWS said...

I'm with Michelle....that seriously brought tears to my eyes! I love how you enjoy every moment. It reminds us of our many blessings. Here's to the present!!

Ryan said...

That is so cute. I'm glad you have this blog for a journal. It will be fun for your girls to go back and read what their ideas were when they were little. I wonder if pink and lime green will still be the style. :)-Jennie

love.boxes said...

c said yesterday that she was glad that she just had the chicken pox, "It was a good time. If I had them when I was an infant, that could have been dangerous and if I had them when I was grown up and pregnant that would have been scary.. so I'm glad I had them now." Did I tell her all this info.. I don't think so.

I find myself being reminded of c being little and mourning her childhood. Like Clytie's poem.. it's about as long as a snowflake melting. :(

Such beautiful writing though Circ.