Thursday, January 24, 2008

Rubies in the Snow






A few scenes from our week in Antarctica...I mean Utah! I honestly don't remember a winter with this much snow! I remember a lot of recent winters where I lamented the fact that there was never as much snow as when I was little. Well, now there is snow piled up on every street corner and in front of every mailbox to rival my childhood memories. We might not see the lawn for weeks! I do love it. It's much better than the January inversion and gloom that we had last year. Today was so bitter cold, though, that the kids practically got frozen to their bicycles when they attempted to play outside. Nice try, kids. They did manage to ride their bikes up the block with E and E and their mom. They got home right before the next blizzard hit.
Earlier this week, the kids were out of school and we hit the Discovery museum. Freestone got a few adoring looks from moms who obviously have superheroes of their own, and understand why I would let my son wear a paper-thin Halloween costume when it's 8 degrees outside. (Because it looks good with the goggles, of course!)
I snickered at Freestone in the backseat, telling the other kids that his mom's super power is x-ray vision. Ari said, "Yeah, my mom said moms have eyes in the backs of their heads!" All the kids giggled, and compared notes on the times when their moms could tell what they were doing without even seeing them. I was thrilled to hear that they all truly believe that moms have super powers. Of course they do. They have to! (Speaking of funny kids, did you check out Jennie's story about Collin and Freestone?)
We stopped in to visit Nana, and a deer stopped in to visit us! This amazing deer was peering in the window at Nana's house, watching us. That has to be some kind of good luck or something! I got a picture of the precious Rubies together...Ruby and her namesake. Ruby is blessed to have such a wonderful grandmother to look up to. Our Ruby is a lot like Nana Ruby. They both have light red hair, and they are both very musical. Nana plays the piano, organ, violin, guitar and mandolin, and loves to sing and tap dance. She was in a senior citizen orchestra until the other members all kicked it except Nana. She laughs about being the last musician standing. She is so talented, and so inspiring!
Tonight was our Olive Garden birthday dinner with Ruby. (Thanks for watching the kids, Tricia!) Every year since she was two or three, Scott and I have taken Ruby to the Olive Garden for her birthday. Ruby always orders blackened salmon and tiramisu. She is very decisive about things. She skipped her field trip at school today and acted as my assistant at ballet when I taught the kindergartners. The little girls were in awe of Ruby, the seasoned dancer. She was so cute in her leotard, towering over the 5 year olds, acting wise and mature. Actually, Ruby doesn't have to act wise and mature. She just is. She's an old soul. It's amazing the endless, eternal possibilities contained in each child.
They're just like snowflakes. :) And snowflakes are pretty cool! We could use a few million more in our yard! Yeah, winter!

3 comments:

love.boxes said...

Happy Birthday Ruby! You are a wonderful caring person who was born knowing about the important things. I hope that you have a marvelous birthday and a wonderful year!

Mother's do have good eyes.. or is it that they have good ears??? Or should I not be spilling that secret. c still tries to sneak stuff passed me, but I can hear ya know! :)

Michelle said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely post! I think Ruby even looks like her Nana! I can't believe that deer! Oh, I a can't believe I am missing the best winter in years! Oh, well. And I have been honing my super-powers! I need a inborn lie detector I think, my Matthew is a story teller!

Jenny said...

Happy birthday Ruby! We love to see you do your side shows for us! I have no doubt that the younger kids were in awe of you!

Wow, those deer are awesome. I think it must be some good luck charm. Go out and get some fresh air for us today! I'll think of you running everywhere as we are home bound. At least I can live vicariously!