Saturday, March 29, 2008

Just a Dog



When Jennie recommended this book, she warned me that it had a sad ending. OK, the dog dies, I thought. I can handle it. All dogs die. It's not like I'm going to be crushed by a literary canine's demise. I proceeded to spend the next few days intermittently chuckling, snorting and just plain putting the book down to snicker for minutes on end, reading about all of Marley's misdeeds. Marley reminded me of one dog we had growing up, Rhys. When Santa brought him, my brothers and I just stared at each other, wondering if our parents had gone completely insane. They had. Rhys was a 30-pound puppy, and grew up and up and up to be a 150-pound Irish wolfhound who would jump into the air to catch a crust of bread. Nobody needs a beast like that living in their house. Yet I remember the grief I felt when Scott and I were backpacking through Europe and Rhys died. I wasn't even there to say good-bye.
I knew Marley and Me would end at the vet's office, but I couldn't put it down. When Scott got home tonight from his day out with his brothers, I was sitting on the couch with Star draped over my lap, which never happens. But I needed her there for moral support. My eyes were puffy and red, and I whispered through sobs, "Marley died," like he was somebody we knew. Scott, ever the dog lover, was unmoved. I think he said something compassionate like, "Well, DUH!"
Even if you've never loved a dog, Marley and Me is a good read. Like the author says, dogs can teach you about the things that really matter in life: Loyalty, courage, devotion, simplicity and joy. When Star gets to be a nuisance, I think about Freestone crying in the car on the way home from Disneyland..."Star!...Staaaaar! I want Star!" Poor kid was homesick for his dog. That's priceless.

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Circe - what a awesome post. I'm glad you liked it. I know what you mean about pups. We had several dogs growing up and when one would pass it never got any easier. I always thought I would have a dog as an adult. But then I would have to choose between the dog and Ryan - another Dopp boy who lacks an affinity for dogs. :)

Erin said...

Circe! I found you! I was reading the Passey's blog... we have a blog too, which I started last fall. I have been meaning to send out an e-mail to our travel group, and round up any blog addresses! I want to get together soon!

Elisa said...

Don't feel bad. I also cried when I read that book. I can remember trying not to cry the ugly cry when my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Manning, read us "Where the red fern grows"... I had to tell people I just had allergies...

Anonymous said...

I read that book too. My husband had a dog who reminded me very much of Marley when we first got married. She was just that well behaved;) He cried like I have never seen him cry the day we took her to the vet to be put to sleep. It amazed me that the book authors went searching for another Marley until I saw how much Bret loved his dog!

Michelle said...

You made us laugh again! Brittany loves your blog too by the way now and always asks if you have anything new. Now, I am going to trust you on this one, you were right about Glass Castle!

Emily said...

Marley looks like my dog growing up "Fletch", some how I still fell on the Scott side of things. Although I do like puppies......

love.boxes said...

I am not a dog person.. or a cat person, but c loves every dog.. atleast from afar. Circ.. do you think she should read it?

Taylor Family said...

Sounds like a good read! I will put it on my to-do list of reads.

Erin said...

Of course you can link to me... I will link to you as well, though I haven't made it work too well , and need to re-do my links!