Thursday, March 27, 2008

Roller Coaster


No wonder we're all tired by the end of the day. Each day is an emotional roller coaster ride, if you think about it. Our brains are as schizophrenic as springtime in Utah! For example, take a look at my morning...

7:30 DENIAL, ANGER, BARGAINING, DEPRESSION, ACCEPTANCE, when I look out the window and see the snow.

7:40 GRATITUDE upon seeing that most of the kids are up and getting ready.

7:54 AFFECTION, seeing Golda walk sleepily up the stairs in her jammies.

7:54 1/2 HORROR, realizing that today is Thursday and Golda has choir at 8:00.

7:55 PANIC on Scott's part when he and Ruby thought I had screamed "FIRE!!!" instead of "CHOIR!!!"

7:56 HYSTERIA, accompanied by DETERMINATION, (Golda WILL NOT be late for choir!) as I make a snack for Golda, grab her backpack, throw on her shirt, remind her she has no pants on, throw a brush in her hands and race her to the car.

8:01 SATISFACTION, driving home with wet hair and mascara running down my face, from dropping Golda off on time to her practice.

8:05 GUILT, realizing Xanthe has been knocking on the wall, wanting to get out of her crib, for ten minutes.

8:06 DELIGHT, seeing Xanthe's cute new haircut from yesterday and hearing her say, "Wet's go show Eli, Esmae my new haih-tut!" It really looks cute. It was her very first haircut; she finally grew twelve bucks worth of hair, enough to warrant a trip to the salon.

8:25 FRUSTRATION at the fact that Freestone cannot find socks that aren't "too soft" or "too tall," or "girl socks." I know, socks are an issue around here.

8:30 HAPPINESS as Ruby finishes her guitar practicing. TEMPERED HAPPINESS, thinking about flute, violin, more guitar and cello left to be done.

8:40 RELIEF, watching Ruby and Ari walk up the street with full tummies, full backpacks and shoes on their feet. Three down, two to go.

8:45 SHOCK AND AWE upon entering Freestone's room and seeing the candy carnage from Easter. Empty eggs, candy wrappers and naked jelly beans litter the floor. The graffiti on the wall is a nice finishing touch: In primitive letters, it says, "I'm 4," surrounded by various letters of the perpetrator's name. Had Scott seen the graffiti, he would have said with ANNOYANCE, "Well, where did the kids get a marker?", (as if they were on the Endangered Art Supplies list) at which point I would have experienced CONTEMPT toward my wonderful husband. I might have even said something SARCASTIC like, "Gee, they must have somehow figured out the combination to the lock on the marker safe." Honestly, I secretly LOVE wall art. I still have a backwards Ari (irA) on my bathroom wall from 2005.

8:46 RESIGNATION, realizing I can't possibly have the house in perfect order by the time I leave, which should be in about one minute.

8:46 DEFEAT, bending over to halfheartedly pick up one of the two thousand or so candy wrappers. PAIN, stepping on a broken plastic egg.

9:00 EUPHORIA...All the kids are where they are supposed to be, nobody is trying to wiggle out of their carseat, I think everyone left with their hair brushed, and I get to listen to NPR for at least a full minute before Golda calls from school, DISTRAUGHT, saying she forgot her lunch. Smiling CALMLY, I turn the car around. Forgotten lunch is a problem I can solve. For those problems, I'm THANKFUL.

Anyone else feeling a little emotional today?!

9 comments:

Jenny said...

I found myself feeling this roller coaster with you! I giggled at the marker safe and can here Jeremy saying those same words, "Where did she get that??"

Golda is a true artist in every sense. I love that poem so much I am going to post it on my blog! That is if it isn't copyrighted already!

Jennie said...

Circe, I LOVE this! As moms it is SO our lives everyday. Thank you for capsulating it so eloquently. As Collin would say, Another day... another pickle. Yes.... that is from the great poet, Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Christian said...

Ah, snow... People here in So. Carolina don't believe me when I say I miss the snow -- even surprise Spring storms.

It was great seeing you (or, more accurately, "ya'll") a couple weeks ago.

love.boxes said...

I was/ am freezing. I guess I got used to the warm yesterday. .. (all my pink sweatshirts are in the wash! dang!)

I was bummed until I read Golda's beautiful poem. It should be framed!

Fabulous writing by the way!!!

Taylor Family said...

Can you belive it snowed today. Cade tip-toed into my room this morning and said mom it is snowing. I am glad he was excited about it.

Michelle said...

Great post! Brittany was reading over my shoulder and laughing out loud! The marker safe especially cracked her up!

SSWS said...

Circe, I love it....you are awesome. It pretty much sums up everyday in a morning.

Anonymous said...

All in a day's work....And some people think that mom's have a life of leisure! I loved your roller coaster description. Gratitude is part of every day...along with the typical disasters, whining and other enjoyable events:) But there is no greater blessing than family.

Jeremy said...

Good reading. My primary activity at home is picking up toys, wrappers, etc. Middle age can be pretty sad. I enjoy the simple pleasures like Cadbury Royal Dark eggs.