Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bottlenose Dolphins



I'm a little bit bitter about the "spring" weather here. Every year, I forget that spring in Utah means snow, cold wind and ugly, bare trees. Fortunately, Ruby is keeping the beach vibe going with her Bottlenose Dolphin diorama. I wish you could see all the detail in the sea mammals and the gull flying overhead. Ruby designed and executed it all on her own, and it turned out looking delightful. The finishing touches were brown sugar sand and shells from Bibbey's shell shop. Ruby's report was well done, too. It said, "Bottlenose Dolphins eat fish, of course. They jump out of the water, open their mouths, and there's their lunch!" Another part I liked was, "Great White Sharks prey on Bottlenose Dolphins, but the dolphins are extremely fast swimmers. Good job, dolphins!"
Good job, Ruby! Everything Ruby does is filled with her unique personality, and I love it. Ruby is an old soul, seemingly full of wisdom and grace beyond her years. I tell her how brilliant she is, but she reminds me about how she hasn't passed off her seven times tables yet. It's a tricky balance, raising kids with humility and confidence, all at the same time. I want them to know how amazing they are, but to temper it with modesty. How do we teach them that balance?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't know but if you figure it out please fill me in! Great job Ruby it looks great!

The homestead said...

I've hijacked Gordon's blog. It's not quite like yours, but I'm learning. We had a great time at your house and am so glad you let us crash your house. Laura

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Ruby! The diorama looked great! I agree that it is a tough balancing act. We want our children to grow up to feel that they are wonderful and unique and have everything to offer the world. At the same time we hope they don't end up feeling that they are more important or better than every other person. We are all brothers and sisters on this planet:) I like your blog notes about spring or whatever. It is very insightful.

Michelle said...

Great diorama Ruby! I used to love diorama when I was a kid, they were my favorite projects.

I'm not sure what the balance is for our kids, but I think I'm erring on the side of telling mine he's special too much. Circe I think you are finding a great balance. :)

Jennie said...

Exactly! I struggle with the balancing act each day. Great jobs Rubes! We love ya!

love.boxes said...

Circ.. you are as close to a perfect mother as a person can be.

... look at the spring time sky today.. it's the most brilliant blue and go see the buds on all the tree.. 2 weeks or less until the forcythia explodes in yellow fireworks.. can't wait!