Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sunkissed and Sandy








There is something about the crashing of the surf and the seduction of the warm sun that makes me look at my calendar and wonder if anything on it is necessary. I guess we can't spend all of our time searching for sea glass and digging for clams, but last week was an exception. Wednesday night, we drove (sobbing) from Disneyland to our favorite condo in Imperial Beach, wedged in there between San Diego and Mexico. It's a sleepy little surfer hangout that the California Touism Board seems to have forgotten. All day Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we had virtually the whole beach, ocean and pool to ourselves. I had my book to read, but it was more entertaining to watch what the kids could do with a long strand of seaweed and a bucket of shells. Ari spent hours gathering ingredients for the soup that the mermaids kept coming to eat out of her sand bucket.
Our favorite dinner in I. B. is the giant Seacoast pizza. It's so big Scott almost decapitated himself when he slammed into a wall carrying it. It took us 3 days to eat it.
There are certain things we always do in Imperial Beach. One is the world's best 99 cent store. I know it's not up there on the top ten list of things to do in Southern California, but I've found treasures there. Remember the Jerry Seinfeld Halloween books? This time we found Pez dispensers for 33 cents for the Easter Egg hunt. Scott loaded the cart with cookies that I initially made fun of, and subsequently hoarded and gobbled up myself. Scott also took the older girls to the outlets on the Mexican border. I didn't want to lose beach time, so I stayed with the others.
Even though we made good use of every hour with walks along the pier, browsing at Bibbey's shell shop and searching the rock jetty for treasure, we weren't ready to go when Saturday afternoon came. We left at 3:00 and didn't get very far when we decided to stop and surprise the Atnips in Temecula. Tim and Courtney are some of the few friends we have whom we didn't meet in first grade. They traveled with us to China, and we bonded instantly. How can you not bond when your taxi drivers are drag racing each other? We had some exciting adventures with the "California Dopps," as Scott calls the Atnips. Anyway, we walked into their back yard unannounced. Unperturbed, and maybe even excited to see us, they took us to their favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. Xanthe was sad to leave her "friend a China." If Courtney gives me the OK, I'll post some adorable pictures of all the kids! (Tim and Scott included!) We had so much fun catching up with Tim and Courtney. Of course, Tim had our next get-together planned by the time we said good-bye.
We returned home to an immaculately organized house, right down to the kids' sock drawers, thanks to my mom. Organizing is her calling in life, and she spent our whole vacation Coconizing our house. Everyone was ecstatic!
Now that we're back in the tentative spring weather, I don't mind the chill. I can look up at the patches of blue and imagine the sky in Imperial Beach. I can almost feel the warmth on my face and almost smell the salty air. It's nice to have a place that is always waiting for your return, and always in your heart, like an old friend...

6 comments:

love.boxes said...

Can Coco come to my place for a visit? :)

That sounds like such a wonderful trip. I just like to listen to the sound of the ocean. I think it makes you sleep so much better.

I'm so glad that you got to see your friends!

Michelle said...

Sounds so fun! I am so glad you had a great time. I love the things that Xanthe says!

Michelle said...

What great photos! The kids are all so beautiful1

Elisa said...

Oh! I love *IMPERIAL BEACH*!
I have some awesome photos I took on that very pier of surfers... I am wanting to rent a cottage down there this summer and then just sit on the beach, relax,and read while the kids dig holes to center of the earth!

It looks like you had a splendid vacation!

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures of your family at Imperial Beach. What is the name of the Condo where you were staying? We love San Diego and La Jolla Beach but haven't found a great place to stay. Looking at the pictures makes me long for sand and ocean. What a great way to spend a week or a year or a life! I LOVED the book Left to Tell. I love it when someone goes through incredible ordeals and finds God through it all, ending up with an amazing hope:) Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Of course you can post pictures of the Doppnips!

=) Courtney