Sunday, May 11, 2008



In a perfect world, every child would have a mama and every woman who wanted to would be a mother as many times over as she desired. On a day like today, when so many hearts are broken and empty, I am grateful to have the title "Mom."

This is a picture of me that Golda drew. I love it because she drew me exactly as I want to be. My shirt says "PARTY," my hair looks cuter than it ever does in real life, I remembered to put on make-up, and I'm holding a Bach Minuet in my hand. That's exactly who I want to be when I grow up!

My mom got this idea, probably from Oprah, to smile at your children and always act thrilled to see them. The expert said it was the very best thing you could do for your kids, so my mom started doing it. Every time I walked in, my mom would open her arms, smile big and say, "CIRCEEEEEEEEEE!! You're HERE!" I ate it up. I felt so special! My mom loved me!

I was 30 years old.

So it's always a good time to be a "mom." You don't have to have kids to do it. You just have to open your heart and show compassion to someone else. I know how lucky I am to have these five kids. To have enough to feed them. To raise them in freedom. To have the tools to keep them healthy. There is nothing about motherhood that I take for granted, and I am thankful for every aspect of it. I never feel justified in complaining about the minutiae when so many don't have the same opportunities I have had. My Mothers' Day wish is that the prayers of every woman's heart are answered, and that every child, no matter their age, can feel the motherly love that they so richly deserve.

8 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

So well said! Thanks Circe!

Michelle said...

You say things so eloquently Circ! Hope you have a wonderful day! Oh, and Golda did a great job!

The homestead said...

Golda is such a great artist! I say amen to everything you said! I love mothers day!

Elisa said...

Amen.

Merrill Family said...

I agree with Michelle, the way you say things is so great. Is your Mom and English teacher or something? Also, what a cute picture.

Jennie said...

Happy mothers day to you sister!

Erin said...

A beautiful perspective, Circe! Golda's drawing is just adorable.

love.boxes said...

Beautiful as usual Circ.. you have my vote for Mother of the YEar.. every year!