Sunday, May 4, 2008

Freestone's Fifteen Minutes


All the kids, at some point this week, were in a recital. They all did a great job, but Freestone was the only one who had me in tears, laughing. First of all, I did a lousy job of wiping his face, so he had red popsicle stains all along his jawline. His hair was sticking up so bad in the back, it looked like a magpie nest. Just prior to the recital, I was involved in a panel discussion with other Suzuki parents. Meanwhile the children were having story time and gorging themselves on cookies. So when they brought Free in, his mouth was ringed in chocolate. And his Oxford and khakis didn't look as good as they had when we left home. This was a Suzuki event, like I said, so if you've been to one, you know how many kids are rolling around on the floor waiting for their turn to perform. These are the kids with the masochistic parents who stick musical instruments in their babies' hands while they're still in diapers. So when Freestone's turn came, he jumped up off the floor, wiped his mouth on his sleeve and made a big display of jumping emphatically off every step on his way down the aisle. He got to his stool and did a very theatrical bow, shouting, "HippopotaMUSIC!!" Everyone clapped, and Freestone was in heaven. He got all the way through his song (Twinkle Variation A), but he was so enamored with the audience that people actually clapped during some of the pauses where Free was admiring his crowd. After the song, Free jumped up, smiled, bowed, and...just stood there, transfixed by the fact that everyone was looking at him. I could tell he was trying to think of something else to do to entertain the crowd. In the panel discussion I had just been in, I had written down a comment about "enjoying the doing more than the getting done." Well, Freestone was in the moment, enjoying the doing, so I let him stand there beaming while I tried to impress the moment on my memory. The picture I'll treasure in my mind is my tiny little son, wrestling a big guitar, peacock-feather hair, shoes on wrong, dusty and covered in chocolate, reaping the reward for all his practicing. He did it! And it felt great.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

Way to go Free! You are so talented. It is also a pay day for you Circ. All of that practicing surely has a mother behind it.

Michelle said...

You have such a great attitude Circe! I love how you look at your kids! I know that stick up hair, we showed up at church with it today too! Way to go Free! Matthew wishes he could play the guitar!

love.boxes said...

Hooray! Free may be a rock star in the making!

love.boxes said...

Circ.. any friends of your are friends of mine.. and in addition they are invited to book club! Does your friend want me to link to a review.. or does she want to host for a month or both.. Let me know! :)

SSWS said...

Wish we had seen the performance! But the description is great. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Free. That is the way to perform in a recital..totally happy and carefree about the looks! Em loved seeing you at the park last week. She told me all about it...she didn't mention Xanthe's accident though. Xanthe is not a bad example!