Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tweens and Televisions






We have had light bulbs burned out for two years. We still have a wall that's been painted half-way up since spring of '06. But the other night, our TV started to go out, and 24 hours later, we had a brand-new TV and a new TV stand. Way to go, Scott. You are such a hard worker!

Scott's lucky break, and the reason he got me to go along with his new TV idea, was that Golda had invited her 5th grade class over for an Indiana Jones party, scheduled for the next day. Scott said, with fake tears in his eyes, "We can't have our little girl be the laughing stock of the 5th grade! Imagine all those 10-year-old boys coming over and seeing our TV like this! Golda's party could be a miserable failure if we don't get an awesome TV!"

Go for my Achilles heel, why don't you. A party that's a miserable failure is my worst nightmare. Scott is a genius. There is no other way he could have convinced me to be so supportive of his electronics obsession. He keeps saying, "The picture is so much better, don't you think?" I'll say, "Yes! I can't believe how much better our lives are now!"

The bottom line is that nobody laughed at Golda for having a TV where everything that's blue is an inch lower than the rest of the picture. The party was a success for everybody. It would be counterintuitive to think that having over a dozen tweens invade your house would be a relaxing way to spend a Friday night, but with Scott at a movie with the littles and the party animals playing night games outside, I had the new TV all to myself. Since Scott had only given me enough information to successfully start the movie for the kids, however, I decided to read my book instead. I trust Scott to enjoy the new TV enough for both of us.

9 comments:

Circe said...

Mom, all of the boys there were 11 about to turn 12- I'm just the youngest one in 5th grade. And could you put some pictures of the girls? I liked it though!

Anonymous said...

Any rationale for a new TV. Em's Baba feels the same way! At least you got a night (Or a few minutes)to relax!! One more week and then SCHOOL's OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Gotch Day for Xanthe and family!

Jenny said...

Sounds like the party was a success! I am so glad you took care of that t.v. for Golda, Scott, so she wasn't the laughing stock of 5th grade! That would have been tragic.

You have always been the best party house!

Elisa said...

Your husband sounds like my husband... We now have every single gaming device known to man in our home! why? because its "so cool, and the kids NEED it!"

How fun to have an Indiana Jones party... you're a much nicer mom than me!!

Jennie said...

So funny! Let's just say we can totally relate at our house. It is funny how TV's and game systems sometime become the most important things EVER.

Michelle said...

I can just see those fake tears in Scott's eyes, and even hear him saying those perfect words! congrats on the new addition to your family!

Erin said...

That is so funny! What is it with big T.V.'s? I told John, "If it were up to the women if the world, no house would have a T.V. bigger than 18"... and it would definitely NOT be in surround sound. Ours gives me vertigo. Nice Mom, though, to have a party, and nice of Scott to take the "littles" out!!!

love.boxes said...

.. and just think Circ! All those great SPORTING EVENTS that you will now see in clear, sharp new TV color!!! It's breathtaking!!!