Friday, June 20, 2008

Beautiful Moments








We were so lucky this week to experience a whole series of beautiful moments, in full costume, backstage and from the audience, as the girls danced in their recitals. Standing in the wings, I got to see them from up close as they danced onstage. It's as if I had a special pass to see everything they had to offer the world written on their faces as they presented themselves to the audience. From my perspective, each and every dancer was truly beautiful from the inside out, and it choked me up to witness such unvarnished innocence, even under all the lip gloss and tulle. I was so involved in the moment, I didn't even take a picture of Ruby in her snow-white ballet costume, or Golda in her jazz costume. In their modern dance, Golda and Ruby were moonrocks. It was very cool.

Into the whirlwind of bobby pins, tutus and pink tights came Freestone's Fantastic Four Birthday Party. Jake and Freestone came in costume and MADE the party! They had to quickly locate a phone booth to change in, however, for the water slide part of the festivities. All the superheroes got their own personalized grey t-shirts to wear while they're not saving the world. Since all the guests were kids who play here all the time, I didn't do much besides keep the cake, ice cream and hosewater flowing. Easiest party ever, and not one evil villain in sight.

Today, a funeral made me slow down after the rush of recital week and reflect on what's important. Scott's Uncle Elmer passed away, a man I'll remember most for unceremoniously making me feel accepted from the first time I met him. His children and grandchildren make up a close-knit family of people who would take you into their home without question if you knocked on their door right now. That's an example I'll treasure and try to emulate.

My parents returned yesterday from a trip to France and Switzerland. The kids are so happy to have them back, they've been sneaking over to their house constantly since Coco and Bill walked in the door. There's no time for jetlag when gifts are burning a hole in your carry-on. Xanthe was so excited to open her delicate little package. It was a beautiful Heidi doll wearing a dirndl and little shoes. Gorgeous. Xanthe tore off the paper and shouted, "Bubble wap! Tank you, Coco!" Eventually she noticed the pretty doll inside the bubble wrap, but I'm still not sure which gift she liked better.

Freestone loves collections. He has a candy collection, a rock collection, a seashell collection, a collection of cardboard pieces under his bed. My new collection is beautiful moments. Life is so full of them, there's no time to lose. Our mission is to notice them, revel in them, create them and share them. I have a whole jar full of them, and I'm adding more tomorrow. Do you want to help?

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Beautiful Circ! I'm glad this week went so well. The girls are stunning in their costumes. They are going to be grown before we know it. Thanks for all your help this week with the kids. I know it was busy. You are seriously... Thee Best!

Michelle said...

I am choked up...again! So beautiful Circ! Can I please add to the collection! We are here and I am so excited to see you all! Oh and thanks for the recital pictures, sooo beautiful! Looks like a fun party too!

love.boxes said...

Look how pretty Ari looks! How did I miss her.. she was wearing one of my favorite costumes too! I guess I still have her so little in my mind, but she's not.. Xanthe has that spot now. Ari is an all grown up ballerina. I will pay much closer attention next time. :)

Nora Mair said...

The Hatchlings were at your superhero party! We love them! Jenny came to visit yesterday and showed me your blog--thanks for the fun glimpse into your life.

Erin said...

So lovely your girls are. And way to go with the birthday party. We need to get Xanthe and Libby together this summer.

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Looks like a fun week! The girls look so professional,
love their costumes.....

Anonymous said...

Glad the recital went well. I love reading your blog...but how in the world do you find time to read anything? Thanks for the book recommendations. I am in the middle of Mao's Last Dancer. Facsinating insight into his life in Communist China. Our girls' progeniters could have had similar lives!

Sister~Mom said...

BEATIFUL PICS!!!
Send me an e-mail I'll add you to my blog reader list