Saturday, June 7, 2008

Walk-About




Scott and I were helpless with laughter when we looked outside and saw this. Freestone, obviously having been advised by Ari on his wardrobe, walking inside of a hula hoop with his big sister. They were circumnavigating the cul-de-sac inside the hula hoop so they could "stay together" and "in case we want to hula on the way." Ari's purse contained several notepads and a doll bottle. Freestone's backpack was completely devoid of necessities, except for a string and a toy truck. Supplies McGuyver could have used to fly a helicopter; not so useful in real life. It's a good thing they didn't make it far enough from home to need their survival skills.

Ari and Freestone's walk-about reminded me a little bit of my family's only camping trip back in the '70's. We had a two-man tent, 5 people, no plan and a flashlight with dead batteries. We drove around in the mountains less than 5 miles from home, looking for a suitable campsite to pitch our tent. About an hour after dark, we found a good spot. My brothers and I set up the tent by the glow of the car's headlights while our parents foraged for firewood. The high point of the trip was when my parents, who were sleeping in the car with the firewood, realized that the logs were infested with ants. Meanwhile, my brothers and I and all 30 of my stuffed animals were snuggled up in a two-man tent that was missing about half of the stakes required to hold it up. Good times! We were home in our own beds before dawn.

I'm glad Ari and Free are practicing their outdoorsmanship. It might come in handy if their (Dopp) cousins ever offer to take them camping!

6 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

I love it!

Jenny said...

Camping? Does the lot count??? That's about as roughing it as we get. We don't even know what a tent is!!

Jennie said...

I agree with Jenny. The "lot" it is. We'll bring the s'more stuff.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a grand adventure. Thanks for advice about looking behind you in the car. How fragile life is and it can change in a minute. It was fun to see you at the park. Xanthe and co are great!!

SSWS said...

I can't believe I never heard about the firewood infested with ants. Kudos to your parents for taking you camping. My parents just told us to sleep out on the lawn....do you remember waking up to automatic sprinklers?? we'll have to plan something this summer....

love.boxes said...

Love the camping story. I don't even have one! We never went camping once unless you count the time we stayed at a hotel 6 in St. George.. don't remember that being so bad.. it had a great pool!