Thursday, June 5, 2008

Heads Up


This is Xanthe, my baby who could have died today, but didn't. I have always been haunted by stories of mothers backing over their children in their own driveways. Because of that, I have a habit of turning off the radio, rolling down my window and sticking my head out to look behind me. I listen because I figure if one of the kids is trying to get my attention, she'll be shouting as she runs behind the car. Sometimes I wonder why I go through the whole ritual, but I'm always extra vigilant backing out. Today, I put the car in reverse, rolled the window down and looked out, and there was Xanthe, hugging the back bumper and crying; she wanted to go with me. Moments before, she had been playing happily on the other side of the yard, and Ruby was watching her. Even though Ruby was shouting at her to stop and Xanthe was crying, I wouldn't have heard any of that had the radio been on, and my window been up. I couldn't see Xanthe in the rear-view mirror because she was right at the corner of the back bumper, right behind the rear tire.

Everything I did today, I was grateful for. It was a normal day. I changed the wash. I mopped. Friends came over. I picked up popsicle sticks. Today could have been so different. And I'm so, so thankful it wasn't. Today, even Xanthe's tantrums were precious, and the mud pies she made were beautiful.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

How scary! I'm so glad you are vigilant. What would we do with out our little X. We love you both.

Michelle said...

Girl, you took my breath away! See what a good mom you are! Give Xanthe an extra squeeze for me!

Erin said...

Oh, Circe! This made me feel sick. I am so incredibly grateful that Xanthe is O.K. I really don't have the words. I am just really glad she is O.K.

SSWS said...

I'm so glad Xanthe is OK! This and drowning are some of my biggest kid fears. it's amazing how may near misses they are. I'm sure little children has surrounding angels...mothers too! phew.

Elisa said...

one great big giant tender mercy from Heavenly Father!
that is my biggest fear! well, onef many!

love.boxes said...

Yipes.. that is my worst nightmare too. We have so many little guys that I adore that use my porch as a pirate ship and play tag football on the front lawn and cruise their scooters down the driveway and you just never know when one of them will be there. I've had 2 close calls. I hope there are angels on our shoulders.. but rolling the window down is the best idea ever.

Jenny said...

I pray every day we stay in touch with the spirit so we can hear little promptings such as this! I am soooo glad you were listening!

Taylor Family said...

I am so glad that you stopped. We love little X so much!!! That is a good tip to turn off the radio when you are pulling out of the driveway.