Sunday, June 1, 2008

Family Trees






At age eight, the future seems to extend to about next week. Anything beyond that is inconceivable. When I helped my dad plant a dozen saplings back when I was eight, my dad told me what those trees would grow to become. He said, "When you're all grown up, those trees will be even taller than you are, and they'll make a nice, shady arch above the pathway."
I remeber looking at the scrawny little trunks and sparse leaves and thinking, "Well, that'll never happen, but I'd better not tell my dad. It would hurt his feelings."
Now that pathway is, indeed, shaded by twelve magnificent trees that shelter my kids from sun and snow and rain as they walk to Coco and Bill's house. In the fall, the trees grow deep red berries and their leaves turn bright orange. My dad has adorned them with twinkle lights to guide us along the path to his house. That tranquil path is one of my favorite spots. It's bittersweet to see the evidence of time's passing in the size of the trees.
Tonight, we planted an apple tree. As Josh and all the kids dug the hole, I said to Scott, "Come help with this apple tree. It the tree that's going to shade the dessert table at Golda's wedding."
Golda probably thought, "Well, that's never going to happen, but I'd better not say anything. It might hurt my mom's feelings." But now I know that time goes too fast, and that little baby tree we planted tonight will grow to witness the events that make our lives. Little feet will climb its branches, little hands will pick its apples. Then one day, big hands will grace its branches with twinkle lights and set up tables under its boughs and there will be a wedding.
Tonight, I sat out on our newly remodeled porch, admiring Scott's handiwork. The kids were wrapped in blankets and Scott's new lanterns glowed. I said, "Listen to the wind whistle through the branches of our new apple tree. Do you hear that? Isn't it beautiful?"
Ruby crushed my reverie with her reply. "Mom, that sound is the neighbor's air conditioner." Believe it: That wedding, and more to follow, will be here far too soon.

12 comments:

Jennie said...

The air conditioner... I love it. I know what you mean about time passing so quickly. Lex turned 10 this year and it is CRAZY to think in another 10 she too could be married. We keep telling her she isn't allowed until at least 25.

Kristi said...

Oh how they can kill the moment. It is amazing to think how things will be when our kids will actually appreciate them.

Michelle said...

Gotta love that Ruby! I know exactly what you mean, I blubbered my way through sacriment meeting yesterday after a mom got up and talked about her neat son that is going on a mission and all I could think was that I am going to blink and that will be me talking about one of my boys!

Oh, and I felt better selling the Jetta because a nice little young couple and so now it will be driven by a different little blonde girl!

Anonymous said...

When you plant a tree you plant in hope for the future! Way to go..We love trees as well and just have sapplings around here. I love to look at them and picture the grand tree they will become. Nice shady path to your parents' house!

Elisa said...

That path looks so fun to run along!
We've been doing a lot of tree planting around here too...

My husband: When we're old we can sit under these trees and read our books while our grandkids run and play.
Me: We'll be dead before these trees get big enough to enjoy.
I'm the killjoy around here!

Scott looks swanky in his hat!

Michelle said...

Hey circ, I tagged you, you don't have to play if you don't want to!

SSWS said...

Congratulations on planting a tree! Mike would be so proud of you by helping to erase your "carbon footprint." We've planted lots of trees with our peach pits and apple seeds, any kind of seed that my kids come across but so far we just can't seem to get anything to grow!

love.boxes said...

It sure will.. it will be here in a second. How is it that every year now goes faster than the last?

Taylor Family said...

That is crazy to think of Golda's wedding! I loved your blog about summer. It made me so excited. We plan on living at Lagoon. We went last night and we stopped at Pies for Five for dinner. It was so cheap. I also wanted to let you know that Cade is working on him skills so that he can apply for your summer job.

Michelle said...

I love planting trees, I'm terribly obsessed with the two we planted last year. I went out and looked them, and came in saying "we have about 15 apples, and 8 peaches on our trees". Rob responded with "Michelle there is no way we eat an apple off that tree for 10 years". A true romantic my hubby. :)

By the way I talked to Jake yesterday and told him that when he and Free played at Coco's he needed to make sure not to make a mess.

He sat there for a minute and then looked at me all amazed with "mom how do you know about Coco?"

I went with the "eyes in the back of my head that seem him everywhere" story.

Queen Elizabeth said...

You are an amazing writer. So extremely well said.

Janice said...

Beautifully written!