Monday, August 18, 2008

Adios, Dora


Dora the Explorer is not my friend anymore. I liked her when she used to teach my kids how to be enthusiastic in Spanish and what it sounds like when you click on stuff on the computer. But now she won't leave me alone. She is everywhere I go. On TV, I've realized all she does is teach my kids to sit on their derrieres and shout, "The map! The map!" Educational? Not as big of an education as I got when I realized it's mandatory that every article of clothing sold in stores, size 6X and under, must have Dora the Explorer on it. Every sock, every belt, every backpack. Seems Dora is also teaching my kids about consumerism.

I've had to tell Dora that she is no longer welcome in my home. If she rings he doorbell, we politely tell her we can't play. Ever. She is going to have to find some new kids to help her get over the bridge and up the mountain. Oh, and Dora? Get a haircut!!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

See, once I knew you had a new post I had to come visit! Really, it was just an excuse to take a break and have a cookie! I have to say I have never really been a fan of Dora, I hate having that map song in my head. Good for you though, we have to help choose our kids friends right-animated or not!

Sher said...

Ha! Amen!
Sadly, Dora is visiting us this very moment.
Sometimes, with a 3 year old throwing a raging tantrum, Dora is the only person who can calm her down.
So, we put up with her irritating-ness.

love.boxes said...

amen. There are a few others that I absolutely hate as well.

Braden Bell said...

Hi Circe--totally with you on the Dora haircut thing. This is Braden from high school. I've been gone forever. You married Scott Dopp? And you have five kids? Wow! Good for you guys. And you have a violin repair shop? That is so great. You have a lovely family--it was fun to stumble across your blog. I found it through Elisa, who stumbled across mine. This is really cool. Love your posts.

Becky said...

Not just shows like Dora, but Barney, the Wiggles and all those creepy shows.

What happened to GOOD shows like The Muppets, Sesame Street, Mr. Rodgers?

I'm buying all of them on DVD and having my kids watch them. Kids shows these days are too weird and 'far out'.

I actually spoke about this with my husband the other day and he asked me why I thought shows like the wiggles were weird and that Blue Dog show... what I don't like plain and simple are Adults behaving like Kids instead of Adults behaving like Adults on kids shows.

Anonymous said...

Dora is with us as well. In fact, she is on Emmy's potty seat and stool. Em thinks she is sitting on little Em's instead of Doras:) We don't watch her but it's tough to buy anything without seeing her.