Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fashionista






Does anybody need a happy, enthusiastic, easy-to-please six year old to shop with? I have the perfect girl. I've found my shopping soulmate, but I can let you borrow her if you're tired of shopping with kids who say, "That shirt is a little bit too blue. Let's keep looking." Or, "Maybe I should try on a few more skirts." Those are the kids that make my feet suddenly feel tired, or my head hot, just like when I was a little kid being dragged around Trolley Square. Thank heavens Scott does most of the shopping. Today, though, Ari reminded me it was high time for a special date just for her. She had it all planned out, and predictably, it sounded exactly like what Golda and Ruby got to do recently. Go to the mall. Buy stuff. Get Chinese food.
First stop, Macy's. I went straight to the clearance rack, held up the most colorful shirt and Ari said, "Yes! YES! Let's buy it!" Wow. Another shirt. Ditto. Her style is bright colors and layers. Matching stifles her creativity. She would have made an excellent Bennetton model back in the '80's. I'm loving this kid! Before you start thinking she's perfect, let me tell you, if she's not insanely happy, she's a screaming maniac, full of frustration and aggression. But not today! Today, she skipped along by my side, making pleasant conversation.
With Ari's enthusiasm and non-pickiness, I opted for another store. Now, I know this never happens to anyone else: Picking out leggings at Children's Place, I heard a voice ask, "Do we have a Children's Place card?" It was Scott, buying denim skirts for Golda and Ruby. Nobody who knows Scott is surprised, right? We might have to have an intervention. A man voluntarily shopping? Before noon?

Scott and I double-teamed Ari, holding stuff up for her approval. She's so insanely cheerful and easy to please, we had a whole wardrobe at the checkout withing four minutes, Ari manic with delight.

After the mandatory stop for Chinese food, our mission was accomplished. When we got home, Ari spread out all her clothes on the bed, just like Golda and Ruby. My little fashionista is ready to take first grade by storm. Watch out, world!

5 comments:

GChinn said...

Circe, I ran into Scott last night at Kohl's and as I was completing my school clothes shopping and negotiating with my crazed 7 year old, I marveled at Scott and his ability to shop. I love it and even gave him some teasing about his decorating, shopping and cooking. He is well trained! :)

Michelle said...

Those are super cute!!!

I need a day with a non-picky shopper, well I suppose Jake isn't picky he will wear anything that is tight, and has Spongebob.

Michelle said...

Love that kid! She would absolutely have made a great Bennetton model! First grade won't know what hit it!

Hey, I just discovered there is a sequel to Sister of my Heart. I got it today, the Vine of Desire. I will let you know if it is good. I wanted to know more about those characters!

SSWS said...

We missed Ari today! It sounds like you were all having a great time. Can't wait to see her sport all the new finds. Those colors are as bright as her personality...which we love!

Taylor Family said...

I would love a shopping date with Ari and would especially love going out to eat after. In return I would love to drop off my crazy boys to play. (I need a girl!)