Monday, August 25, 2008

The Party's Over




We all resist change. The day school ended in June, I was resistant. I was apprehensive because I loved my routine, and it was all about to change. Too bad the summer turned out so perfectly wonderful, because now I'm hating change again. I have to remind myself that I love fall, that driving the kids to their lessons and helping with homework is my specialty, that it's exciting to be embarking on another school year. I remind myself of these truths as the kids walk away, up the street, pulling my heartstrings tighter and tighter with each step. Really, I want to say, "Stop! Let's not do this. I'm calling and cancelling it all, and we're moving to Mexico where we'll run a surf shop all year long."

But I let them go because I'd be miserable in Mexico where the washers and dryers are tiny and the pace is so slow. I'd want to scream by the time the first siesta rolled around. Besides, when I finally get the crisp, collegiate excitement of fall and back-to-school in my veins, I'll be in heaven all over again. The girls were so shiny-happy this morning. Now it's only 9:30 and almost all of the day's practicing is done, Golda, Ruby and Ari are gone and Freestone is waiting for his turn. I'm starting to like this routine already. I might leave claw marks on the swimming pool, but the fall breeze will blow me like a leaf, right into the thick of the school year. Yep, the breeze is starting to pick up. Have fun at school, little ones!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun and sad. You are a great Mom. Thanks for raising such wonderful kids. Love, Scott

love.boxes said...

I like Scott's comment. When your kids turn out to be practically perfect and happy adults ... people will say, "What's with all those Dopp kids?" and the reply will be.. "They had a fairy-tale childhood." Good job Circ!

SSWS said...

I love picture number two of little Xanthe walking up the hill...she looks determined to join them! Hope the day turned out great for all the Dopps!

Erin said...

So sweet. It is a poignant day, and believe me when I say... college is harder to send them off to. Your children just have such a purity about them... their goodness shines through! Really, Circe.

Jenny said...

Siesta? Did someone say Siesta?? I could use one of those! WE still have one more week before pre-school starts for Neeley. She is anticipating school shopping this week!

I love the girls outfits. It is so fun to see what they pick for the first day! Each one has their own cute little personalities!

Michelle said...

They all look so independant marching off. But I see that dad over there, and me thinks that is his elbow there in the first grade! You both are such great parents, I agree with Tif!

Michelle said...

p.s. I got my package!! Goodbye clean house and fed family, I'll see you in a few days! Oh, and I sent you something!

Anonymous said...

Your optimism with changing seasons is amazing. I would be running down the street after the school kids trying to hang on to summer:)