Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bad



If you didn't travel through the '80's backwards on your tiptoes, trying to do the moonwalk, you might not forever remember where you were when you found out Michael Jackson was gone. I'll remember. I had talked to my brother about my dinner plans. He said, "How can you eat at a time like this? Michael Jackson might be dead." I tried not to think about the possibility until I got Trajan's text an hour later: "Official. Dead. Heart attack." I was watching my kids swim and I gasped. That's the moment I'll remember. The world without Michael Jackson? It's not right. We may never see a more talented, innovative superstar again. He changed pop culture the world over. It may not seem to matter, but it does. Michael Jackson defines my generation. I ask you, who does the next generation have? My kids watched Thriller and some other videos on YouTube tonight, and I was sad for them that they only get to experience Michael Jackson as history. When I was their age, he was my reality. And what an incredible reality he created for us with his genius.

4 comments:

laurel said...

That is how I feel. He was our generation. He defined the music culture then.

Elisa said...

Amen.

My kids learned how to do the Thriller dance. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen! And sad at the same time.

Please excuse me while I go listen to PYT one more time.

Elisa said...

Amen.

My kids learned how to do the Thriller dance. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen! And sad at the same time.

Please excuse me while I go listen to PYT one more time.

Michelle said...

I can't believe it either, man Brooke just barely missed really seeing history didn't she? What would our adolescence have been like without the moonwalk and break dancing?