Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Dozen Reasons to Celebrate









Golda's 12th birthday! It's a big one, worthy of a bit of fanfare. Last Saturday, Scott took Golda and her friends shopping and out to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory to begin the celebrations. The girls had a great time. It was Golda's dream day, featuring the mall, friends and her favorite restaurant.
Sunday we took a short detour out of Goldaville to celebrate Fathers' Day, then got right back on track Monday with a party at Ryan and Jennie's for June birthdays. Collin, Freestone and Golda opened presents from everyone. Golda was excited to wear an adorable shirt from Grandma and Grandpa when she woke up today on her birthday.

As soon as she got up, a new doll was there to greet her with a Happy Birthday sign. Golda had asked for a Gingham doll, made by my friend Michelle, but I told her Michelle couldn't make her one. (Like that would ever happen!) But you have to have surprises on your birthday! Another surprise was a birthday sign and balloon in the front yard, covertly placed by the Young Women leaders. Such a fun welcome. Then her French teacher had made cookies for the class for Golda's birthday. All the kids were singing "Bonne Anniversaire" all day. Such kind and unexpected gestures continued all day with gifts and phone calls from relatives and friends.

After French, Golda and I sneaked away to the Gateway for a quick shopping trip. We visited Build-a-Bear Workshop where we both decided you're never too old to make a furry friend. With birthday money from Coco and Bill, Golda shopped for jewelry for herself and her sisters. We had to shop fast to make it to the next stop, a voice lesson, one of Golda's favorite activities.

Because there were still hours in the day, and you really only turn 12 once, Scott took Golda and Ruby to dinner at Lone Star Steakhouse and to the movie theater to see "Up." I think they have lots of fun pictures on Scott's camera, wherever it is. Golda is a girl after my own heart, one that can't stand down time and loves to be slightly rushed at all times. This birthday certainly fit the profile of Golda's ideal, with lots of fun packed in and lots of attention. She's a lucky girl.

After a phone call from her new Beehive advsor, Golda commented that Young Women's is a bigger deal than she thought. This is all a bigger deal than I thought, too. Twelve is pivotal, it turns out. Moving into Young Women's is a big part of it, and so is junior high. Golda reminded me today that she is allowed to wear makeup now. I said, "What are you talking about? I probably said that when you were two and twelve seemed like a long time away." Nevertheless, I said it and I think I was right. It's time to slacken the reins a little bit, not for the first time or for the last. Here we go into uncharted territory, Golda charging ahead, Scott and I holding back, just close enough to cheer her if she falters. Happy Birthday, Golda!

8 comments:

Emily said...

I can't believe she is 12! She has turned into a beautiful young women that carries her self so well over night. Happy Birthday Golda, we love you....
I love to brag that you are my niece.

Amanda said...

Wow! You guys really go all out on birthdays! Can I send my kids down there for their birthdays? What fun! I was just thinking the other day what a darling girl Golda is and what a great babysitter she'd make! I don't know if she could squeeze babysitting into her very busy schedule, but if she's interested I know we'd love her!

Elisa said...

Happy Birthday Golda! (you look just like your Mother!)

Twelve. It's such a fantastic age! They are so excited for all the amazing changes that are coming their way!

It really is so difficult to learn the balance of letting go, and still maintaining some sort of control.

It really is a tight-rope walk... it's exciting and scary all at the same time! Welcome to the world of teenagers!

Jennie said...

I'm glad you had such a fun day. You are right. 12 is a big deal. Lex can hardly wait to join your ranks. We love you G!

Erin said...

happy birthday Golda! What a lovely young woman you are. I was just thinking today about what it would be like to have Libby in Young Women. And it made me excited to see what she'll be like!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated birthday to Golda! She is beautiful. So glad you got the diagnosis for Ruby so she can get better. Xanthe and Em had a blast yesterday. They both wore their squeeky shoes and ran through the house holding their balloons. Thanks for letting her come:)

Michelle said...

I can't believe what a great 12 Golda is! I am also glad she is keeping the party going so we could all benefit from such a fun night together at the movies! Oh, and your Gingham girl looks so happy with her new home, I am glad you liked her!

laurel said...

Happy birthday! By the looks of it...you guys go WAY out. I want a birthday at your house.