Friday, June 5, 2009

Big Fish



Golda has made her last trek up the street and around the corner to school. She graduated from 6th grade today, along with close to a hundred other bright, enthusiastic and slightly awkward 12-year-olds. It was a good group of kids, shepherded by four teary-eyed teachers who hugged each child as they received their diplomas. The principal talked about how the 6th graders have become big fish in a small pond, and how they are ready to move to a bigger habitat. Such a true analogy, I thought, as I watched the confident kids I've known since they were scared kindergartners, full of life and ambition. There were certificates awarded for being in the nationwide 90th percentile and above for end-of-level testing. Fully 70% of the kids (including Golda) got a certificate. That means our teachers are fantastic. We are fortunate to be at such a stellar school where the teachers, parents and principal are so highly invested in the kids.

Golda and a few of her friends are outside playing night games. The party started out a little iffy, with a small and disparate group of kids. As soon as I remembered my own rule, Stay Out of the Way, the party took off. How could I have overlooked what a buzz kill a pregnant mom is? Especially when shadowed by a four-year-old who thinks all the people came just to admire her. I can hear the carefree sounds of Golda's friends through the open windows. Although they're getting older and more concerned with the pressures of the world around them, I hope they carry with them some of the childhood they still possess as they enter the bigger pond of junior high. One more step on their journey to the open ocean. Oh, I hope the waters are safe and calm.

7 comments:

Jennie said...

Congratulations Golda! You are going to be a bright star in Jr. High.

Until then.... Stay Cute, Have a fun summer, Call me, and URAQT, HAGS, U are SO cool and cute. Stay like that! K! c/ya Jen

Taylor Family said...

I can't believe Golda is going to be in Junior High. She is so beautiful. Congrats!!!

C and MC said...

I love her hair, it is magical.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Golda and good luck in the the big pond.

Michelle said...

I am such a chicken, it scares me to think of any of our kids starting the big junior high. Lucky for us we have pretty, smart, wonderful Golda to break trail!

laurel said...

Congrats Golda! Good luck in the big pond.

love.boxes said...

Golda is going to set the world a-light! Congratulations my friend!