Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Recipe for Election Day Chili

Dice and sautee in butter:  celery, onions and carrots.

Brown and season ground beef with lots of salt and pepper.

Combine above stuff with lots of kidney beans (either canned or pre-soaked dry), a can of pumpkin, vegetable or beef stock and diced tomatoes in a crock pot.

As it cooks, add a quarter cup or so of corn starch dissolved in water to thicken.  Also add chili powder, cumin, Tabasco, a packet of chili seasoning or whatever seasoning you like.  I like it not spicy; my dad likes to add Heinz Chili Sauce when it's served.

As you can see, I'm not a recipe person.  Somewhere on a greasy 3x5 card in fading pencil, I'm sure there is an official recipe passed down through the generations.  This, or something similar, is what I do.  No measurements, but heavy on the ground beef and celery.  It's virtually impossible to ruin it.  Just season with care.  Bon appetit!


2 comments:

jenn said...

Thanks Circe, sounds delicious!

The homestead said...

Thanks for the recipe. The canned pumpkin is something I'll have to try. I'm not a recipe person either. Most of my recipes would sound similar- a little of this, a little of that.