Sunday, November 25, 2012

Train Wreck


I went to Ballet West's Nutcracker last night with Golda and Ruby (because we just can't get enough of it!).  Peggy Wheelwright, a violin teacher, had her group performing in the lobby before the ballet.  They were all dressed in matching pink-and-black holiday dresses and suits, and they sounded very good.  Even the tiniest ones were cranking out the holiday standards, embellished by the taller and more experienced players with their riffs and turns.  Ruby commented, "If that's not Suzuki, I don't know what is."

The well-mannered, buttoned-up little musicians were exactly what I had in mind for my little herd of kids, before I had kids and still knew everything.  I can't say we're there yet, but I can say with confidence that we probably never will be.  We had to put together an ensemble for Golda's Family Flute Recital.  Her teacher suggested Scott on the bells, but really, for as much money as we spend on lessons, someone in the Dopp family should be able to come up with a few measures of Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella without having to resort to Golda and a one-man bell choir.

You would think!  After procrastinating for most of November, I finally figured out an arrangement that seemed pretty painless for everyone.  That's when the quarreling broke out.  Golda and Ari both wanted to have the melody the entire time.  I remember enough from six semesters of music theory to know that 120 measures of flute and cello playing in unison, or an octave apart, is not good harmony.  I repeatedly explained to Ari that this arrangement is for a flute recital and it's OK for her not to be the star.  Nothing I said had any impact on her thought process.  She plays for 16 measures and pouts for 104.

Golda, in a similar vein, keeps saying, "Maybe Ari could stop like, three measures sooner."  Ruby, on the other hand, finally admitted that she was playing badly on purpose in hopes that I would kick her out of the project.  Freestone has been a good sport, but Ptolemy and Tziporah add way too much screaming to the mix.  Xanthe has managed to stay out of the fray on this one.  Her piano skills are not quite advanced enough to accompany this bickering bunch.

Scott caught some of our little practice on camera today.  Fortunately, he missed the rehearsal where I was shouting, "Just do what I say!  I'm the one with the music degree!"  And he missed a whole segment of Ari playing really loud, trying to just take over the melody by brute force.  He missed a lot of arguing about who isn't counting and who needs to practice more and who stole Ari's wallet.  (Huh?)  He missed Freestone wandering off every time he had a rest.  What the camera also didn't record, because it never happened, was a whole family of young musicians in matching outfits with squeaky-clean hair, playing beautifully in harmony and complimenting each other in British accents.

Curse reality!  I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle tomorrow at the recital.  Worst case scenario, Ari can just play the whole song alone.  You know what would have been better?  Scott playing the bells.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

I think think the entire family, the ward, shelter, and everyone else who reads the blog would have attended the recital to hear Scott play the bells. :) That sounds like a once in a life time occasion. :) Seriously though, I bet it will be fabulous. Good luck. Hopefully Jeanette and Isabella will get along and everyone will make it through in one piece. :) Hopefully the bell ringer will record it for us. :)

Anonymous said...

Busy, busy, with all your preparations I know it will be fantastic!..Good Luck, thinking of you, hope you record it and put it on YouTube!. Everyone's part will fall into place I am sure, and like you said worse case scenario, Ari taking over, and actually, that probably would not be too bad!..Wish could have heard Scott play bells also!..You two are very multi-faceted!...Good luck!.xo Tricia

Taylor Family said...

I love this video. So cool that you can all play together. Watching Ruby in this video reminded me so much of Scott. I think she is a lot like her Dad.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Your like the Von Trapp family! It will turn out fantastic and everyone will think that your life is just perfect :)

Nate said...

Made me laugh again! Thank you for a funny dose of reality.

Catherine said...

Ah, gotta love it! You captured the true reality of so many music teachers and their realities that are not so close to their dreams. Heh! Well put!

I was at the piano with Hannah one day and she asked me something. I showed her and she played everything else = gleaming at me the whole time as if to say, 'Yah, I'm not going to play that! Oy - I can see my future and it's pretty bumpy when it comes to practice time!

Hope all went well in spite of well....reality! Thanks for the smile!