Friday, November 16, 2012

Windows



There are always moments during Nutcracker week.  Some hilarious, some poignant.  When you combine fatigue and excitement, you're bound to get intense feelings.  Late Tuesday night, Ruby was laughing hysterically over another maid pretending to burn her finger on a fake candle.  She could hardly breathe.  But our first "Nutcracker Moment" happened right away, in the car on the way to the first dress rehearsal.  I had been thinking up this poem in my head all day, and I wanted Golda and Ruby to read it.  Their hair was all up, they were dressed in their leos, tights and new Nutcracker sweats and we were excited about staging our dances.  Ruby read the poem out loud, and when she got to the last few lines, about the dancers growing up and moving on, her voice started to quaver. Soon we all had tears ruining our make-up.  Golda only has two more years of Nutcracker, and she is acutely aware of how finite her remaining opportunities are.  She wants to dance every part, and there's not enough time!  It's a tragic reflection of life; one day we'll wake up and we'll simply be out of time.  All the more reason to live our lives exactly how we will wish we had when it's all over.

Another closing door is fresh on my mind.  I had been in the dressing room taking pictures of Golda and her friends in their Snow costumes.  I was in the way and I knew Golda wished her mom had less access behind the scenes.  The dancers went to wait backstage and I thought I would go home.  As I was leaving, I saw the backstage door open, a group of Snow dancers illuminated by the blue lights of the wings.  Golda was closest to me, rubbing her toes in the rosin box, her sparkling crown atop her head.  She looked so beautiful!  And then the door closed, slowly.  It was just me in the cold, still hallway.

You know that hokey saying about God closing a door, but opening a window?  I bet he does that because, at some point when a door has closed and a mom is climbing through a metaphorical open window, not willing to let her child go, her hips will get stuck.  If she's lucky, she will have enough sense to wiggle back out and close the window.  Looking through the glass, she will see the child she always hoped her baby would become, and know that the journey on the other side of that window is not hers to travel.  At the same time, though, she is part of it.  That's why windows are clear, after all, and why they open.







7 comments:

Michelle said...

You made me cry AGAIN! So very lovely. I had a moment last night when with great terror I realized Clytie herself will not be there on the stage forever. What in the world would we do without her and her Nutcracker! Enjoy while I can I guess. Beautiful post!

The homestead said...

She will always need you. It will change throughout her life, but she will always need you.

laurel said...

So beautiful....love the costumes, love the hair and makeup. I feel like you do about Nutcracker about my kids' school and Austin leaving. It is so hard on mom's when the family dynamic changes or is close to change. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Well, you did it again, wiping the tears away that are falling from my eyes!..A very beautiful post, so real, so true, so well stated. Beautiful pictures, enjoy every minute because you are right, windows close, but new ones open to let more sunshine in. Love you, Tricia P.S. Tell Golda and Ruby how beautiful they look.

Jennie said...

This is a tender time for us. We feel the time approaching for these first girls of ours to take flight. I am loving watching every moment of the process. Who knew motherhood could be so wonderful and yet so hard. :) Love the posts about both girls. They are amazing.

Cricket said...

Tonight we saw The Nutcracker for the first time. Lily was so excited to see Golda. When Golda finally came on stage Lily was clapping and yelling "There's Golda! I see Golda". She the proceeded to move her arms just like Golda's.

I think there is something ever so special about Golda that just drew Lily to her. I know she only spent less than eight hours with her, but Lily thinks of her and speaks of her often. Please let Golda know that she touched a little five year old heart in such a way.

I hope Golda is able to fit her ballet classes in next summer for her little dancers, Lily is looking forward to them.

Jennifer said...

Your poignancy touches this mother's heart. How lucky you are to have a joint passion with your girls -- who, despite your saying otherwise, clearly like having you there alongside them. (Perhaps that was what was missing from my experience last year.) I'll be contemplating your imagery of windows for a while; perfect, because mine need cleaning!