Friday, February 1, 2013

I Am Growing Up!

College to do list:

Go to class
Go to gigs
Study
Practice violin
Think existential thoughts
Then do whatever I want 

Mom To Do List:

Check out a book on penguins
Buy posterboard
Get 200 pictures printed of Ruby for art class project
Clean the kitchen
Pay second semester fees online, print a receipt
Print a picture of a penguin
Go to Cache County
Study 5 spelling lists with 3 kids
Read Gafi online
Clean the kitchen
Make a poodle skirt
Schedule 4 SEP's
Have fifth graders over to practice their lip synch
Laundry in
Help Free do 4 hours of community service that benefits Utah
Buy a birthday present for a 12yo boy
Clean the kitchen
Register for baseball
Practice with 3 kids
Laundry out
Arrange ride for scouts
Put food in a crock pot
Clean the kitchen
Change a diaper
Drop off Ruby's binder
Rehair a bow
Set up a violin
Laundry in
Pick up Ruby from school
Feed a baby
Drop off Golda at ballet
Take Ari to cello
Laundry out
Pick up Ari from cello
Drop off Ari and Xanthe at ballet
Pick up Golda from ballet
Take Ruby to guitar
Find lost library book
teach ballet
Change a diaper
Clean the kitchen
Think about putting on mascara
Buy valentine treats for 100 kids
Listen to first world complaints
Lecture kids on gratitude
Invite people to CNY party
Clean the kitchen
Figure out new carseat
Buy bobby pins
Dislodge bobby pins from vacuum
Go to the store
Pay for donuts Ptolemy stole
Bank
McDonald's
library
post office
visit Nana
vacuum car
Clean up french fries
Take girls to the church
Pick up girls from the church, drop off at dance
teach a lesson
Clean the kitchen
Return a call
Answer an email
Clean up yogurt baby spilled while I answered an email
Laundry in
Take Free to hip hop
Take Ruby to ballet
Pick up Free
Laundry out
Pick up Ruby
Buy tights
Schedule doctor appointment
Clean up box of granola baby spilled while I was on the phone
Listen to kid read
Think about making banana bread
Gather family for dinner
Clean kitchen
Throw out brown bananas
Make appetizer for a potluck
Clean the kitchen
Force kid into shower
Laundry in
Force kid out of shower
Laundry out
Buy AP study guide
Order music online for Federation
Mull over report cards
Schedule baptism and Lion House party
Wonder how we acquired so many stuffed animals
Call garage door guy
Locate a copy of O Pioneers
Get in pajamas, look at calendar
Get out of pajamas, take Golda to flute



Notice, certain things aren't an the list. Like sleeping and reading the three books I've started that are really, really good.  I love this time, though.  I wouldn't trade it for my bereft and directionless college existence, although I am glad I went through those heady, exhilarating, lonely, selfish, searching years.  (Spending weeks at a time alone on a beach in Spain has its advantages.)  I know who I am now, and the only searching I do is for a lost shoe.

When I was in second grade, I drew a fabulous picture of me, arms sticking out of my ears, Hair like two brown twigs protruding from my forehead and a cute floral, triangular-shaped dress.  The caption was, "This is me.  I am growing up!"

I often think of that title in regards to my life.  I feel so at home in my skin, in my life.  This is me.  I am growing up!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I love the ones like, "think about making banana bread". I have so many of those moments. You are doing great. This season is exhausting, but oh so much fun.

The homestead said...

Great list. i should keep one someday. I'm so glad you visited Nana! I'm sure you were the highlight of her day.

Nate said...

That is some to-do list. I especially liked the item to "pay for the doughnuts that Tolly stole."

Anonymous said...

Wow..what a list. Do you ever sleep? That is what growing up is, being a mom, homemaker, wife, etc. is...an endless list, but you do it all well. Try to take a breath once in awhile! Miss you girls!. xo Tricia

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I don't think I saw, "eat" on that list! LOL, no wonder you are so thin! I had a good laugh, my favorites were the: donuts, think about making banana bread, then throwing away the bananas, and listen to kids complain about fwp's. Great list- so fun:)