Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Red Thread Turns Into a Very Thick Cable

ONE of the great things about having Xanthe in our family is that we get to celebrate extra holidays.  Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday in the world, celebrated by well over a billion people.  Records are broken every year in regards to number of texts sent, number of train tickets sold, worldwide volume of phone calls, etc.  More people travel for Chinese New Year than anything else in the world, because part of CNY is going home.

This year, we stayed right where we were and the party came to us!  And boy did the party come in force!  We had many new families as well as old.  Everyone knew someone, but nobody knew everyone.  What we all knew was that there was a ton of good food, if you could get to it!  I think our house finally met its party match.  I know there were at least 95 people, 20 or 30 of whom seemed to be running in circles around the basement in their Chinese finery, shrieking and giggling.  A perfect activity; not messy and good exercise!

As crowded and noisy as it was, I can't put into words why I love having the house packed to the gills or why it's such a thrill to have people gather here.  I just love it.  For Scott, hosting isn't necessarily his calling in life.  He's a social guy and a good sport, but parties are something he puts up with because he loves me, just like I put up with...um...I can't think of anything.  Scott is perfect.  (Breathe a sigh of relief, Scott, but hurry, because we're having two recitals at our house Friday.  You don't have to come! :D)

Yes, the red thread community we have become a part of has turned into a very strong cable of families who are bound together by something invisible, indescribable, yet unbreakable.




Ptolemy stole the show, wearing our only pair of Chinese pajamas.  I was talking to another mom and called Ptolemy "my cute little guy," which is a no-no.  He was quick to point out that, "I'm big!  And I'm handsome, too!"
Sneaking cookies before the party?

And then, this happened!
Gracie, Ari and Kate, three of my very favorite past and present ballet students, found a quiet corner.
The Amazing Passeys.  We love you guys!


That's Liese Checketts on the right, the organizer of all this craziness.  Thanks for everything, Liese!
These are just the cooperative kids.  There were about this many who didn't make it to the couch because they were just too busy!  It's OK, though, because the couch was pretty much at capacity!



Sophia playing a traditional Chinese instrument, a reed flute.

Changs and Sandy.  Terah and Ruby had something in common:  They were both the Arabian soloist in the Nutcracker during consecutive years.  Now they might have something else in common too, if the Changs end up adopting from China or Taiwan! 










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a fun looking party..congratulations on your efforts to have "The Red Thread" theme party!. So fun to see so many little faces and hear about the excitement that went on and into making it a success. Leave it to you to have a CNY!..so glad you have this tradition. I am sure you will keep it up and keep Xanthe apprised of traditions. Loved the post..Happy C N Y!..xo Tricia

Taylor Family said...

What a fun way to celebrate. I bet Xanthe loved having a big party to celebrate how much she is loved.

sws said...

What a beautiful group of children and parents.

Catherine said...

Wow! What an awesome party! Every single time I read you blog I wish we lived closer!! Miss you.

laurel said...

Thanks for the invite. I am sorry we couldn't come. I swear, the teenagers keep us rolling. YOu always through a great party.