Monday, February 11, 2013

The Math in Music

Dear Golda,
You have approximately 2,340 practice days under your belt.  And for what?   
For this...
  And this...

And this.

I would venture to say that at least two thousand of those practice days were marked off because I said so.  You practiced for me, over two thousand times.  I told you it would be fun someday, and it would be worth it someday.  This is the stuff I was talking about!

I hope when you're older you get to be a one-mom fan club, standing in the back hallway of Abravanel Hall to cheer as your favorite piccolo section exits the stage.  Your daughter's face will light up when she sees you and you'll think, "It would be crazy not to be here for this!"  With a sudden clarity, you'll know that there are numbers and equations that math can't explain, like how 2,340 can equal one.  Two thousand three hundred forty days of practicing, and all it takes is one moment to make it all worth it.

7 comments:

The Brown Family said...

Circe! I'm really trying to get things caught up. One of those things is the blog. My computer crashed back in November and it was a great excuse to get far, far behind.

Hillary is on a mission! She went to the MTC last Wednesday, headed for Berlin Germany. Her mission blog: sisterhillarybrown.blogspot.com

I love your math in music perspective. It's the same math as in motherhood, too I'm finding.

Love,
Kim

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you record these things. We love hearing you and the kids play. Yes, it is all worth it. Talents bless other people's lives.

Michelle said...

You are so right! Go Golda!

Catherine said...

So many wonderful accomplishments because of all the hard work you (and Mom too!) put in. Way to Golda!!

jenn said...

You two did a beautiful job! I'm so glad she practiced so many times! And you too!

Anonymous said...

So proud of you Golda, all your hard work is paying off and will continue to pay off throughout your life time!. Bless you and keep up with your goals and continue your practicing and even more good things will happen in your lifetime. Love the blog. XO Tricia

Jennifer said...

I like Kim's remark that motherhood math is much the same.

May I send a link of the video to my mom? "Be Still My Soul" has special meaning to her in regards to my brother, the anniversary of whose death we marked this week. Sigh.