Friday, March 8, 2013

After Changes Upon Changes...







When Nana Ruby was born in 1916, people didn't have indoor plumbing or electricity.  Where Nana came from, rural Utah, people grew most of their own food.  Nana was born in September, right during canning season, a fact her mother lamented in a poem she wrote about Ruby.   In those days, women couldn't vote.  Hemlines were inching up past the ankle, though!  And the U.S. was on the brink of entering World War I.  Nana came of age through a war and the Great Depression, raised children through WWII, served missions through the hippie era, lost her husband almost 30 years ago, and then went on to resurrect her tap dancing and musical skills.  She finally had to retire from the senior citizen jazz band when all the other members died of old age.

Through all the changes Nana has seen in her life, she remains constant.  She is absolutely sure of who she is, where she came from and where she is going.  And I am absolutely sure that whenever I call and ask if I can stop by, she will say, "Why, honey, I would be just delighted.  You come right over."



5 comments:

The homestead said...

Oh I love Nana! I'm so glad you went to see her.

Taylor Family said...

She is so sweet. I love the little table of treats she has set out for the kids. So cute!

Jennie said...

I love all these pictures. I'm so glad you have them and that ALL your children were able to meet her and see her gentle, loving spirit in action. She is exactly like her name implies.... a gem!

Shane and Kenzie said...

what a neat woman.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Thanks for posting pictures of Nana- I just love to see pictures of her! Also, thanks for visiting her and taking care of her when some of us can't be there. You are great.