Tuesday, March 26, 2013

late and uptight

So I spent a good five-to-seven minutes berating Golda and Ruby the other day because I couldn't find them at a church activity, and now I was going to be late to teach after dropping them off at dance.  I hate being late; don't even get me started!  Being late strikes me as arrogant, or at the very least, disorganized.  I could analyze the compulsion to be on time, but I'll just tell you what happened.

Despite my high level of annoyance, the girls were on time for their dance class and I was ONE minute late for my violin lesson.  Still enough late to cause my vision to blur in frustration, but I still got there before my student, so I relaxed a little.  Then I waited for 24 minutes.  25 minutes into a 30 minute lesson, my darling little student arrived.  Her mom apologized and we went on to have a very nice five-minute violin lesson.  My student and her mom were relaxed and laughing and not the least bit upset at being late.  They were fine!  I thought back to my own reaction at the possibility of being late, and thought, "Geez!  I need to lighten up!"

I'm not going to, but it's something to think about.

4 comments:

michelle said...

This is why we are friends, well one reason. I am right there with you! I feel like being late is an insult, like saying my time is more important than yours. It makes my stomach twist just to think about it! But you are right, I probably could lighten up too!

Jennifer said...

Don't you hate when you stress and rush to be on time for someone who ends up being late? Grr. You were gracious to not tell the mother so. I hope she had a good, not-her-fault reason. Still, did she make any effort to let you know she'd be late?

Jennie said...

I'm not going to, but it's something to think about..... SO FUNNY!

I hear ya. Be Gretchen, right? :)

The world needs all types of people. Some are type A, some are.... well, everything else. :) But, the key is balance. Sometimes my priorities get the family where they need to be. Other times, I find myself needing to chill out. I hear ya though on the being late. It is hard for me to not be annoyed when things don't start on time. There are always exceptions to this, but for the most part, people know when things starts. So... plan accordingly, right? :)

jenn said...

It's crazy to think of how long I have known you now and known that you make and play the violin and still I have yet to hear you play! But then I have only heard Zeljko once, we really need to get you two together...